MB19565

Leader Length for Artificials

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use braid to Fluro with an FG Knot.  For throwing artificials-  spooks, swimbaits, paddletails etc.  I have historically kept my leaders on the longer end (3ft+).  Where I fish there are lots of rocks/structure and this has worked well- no breaks offs in the last 4 years.  However passing my knot through guides makes it so that I have to check and retie my knot often-  which is a pain and too often I have to grab another rod/set up when I get into fish.  Not to mention checking and retying my knots after every trip. 

** Wondering how long of a Fluro leader you all use?   I'm thinking about shortening mine up but not sure how sort to go.   would love it if i could situationally avoid putting the knot through the guides- so I'm thinking  18" ish?

Edited by MB19565

1 min ago, MB19565 said:

** Wondering how long of a Fluro leader you all use?   I'm thinking about shortening mine up but not sure how sort to go.   would love it if i could situationally avoid putting the knot through the guides- so I'm thinking  18" ish?

I fish braid to flouro too and about the same 3' length leader...ironically, I'm contemplating going longer with my leaders. I look at the leader as a shock absorber, anti-abrasion and stealth thing. I'm sure people use 18" leaders for plugging, but I don't see the benefit of that short a leader. You loose the shock absorber, the stealth...what do you think? I might go a little shorter than 3', but not that much. That's just me though.

Flouro has no stretch for shock absorption. It will stretch, but that just weakens it. Mono has shock absorption. I personally use about 3’ length. Basically an arms stretch. I don’t think it’s super critical either way depending on the water condition and species. Albies being more sensitive, blues less, etc, then you’ve got white surf vs glass calm, etc. 2-4 should be fine, I’ve never heard any “pros” stress the leader length in videos or presentations I’ve attended. 

I use 24”-26” leaders because that size is just about as long as I can go while casting as hard as I can with the knot outside the rod. Go as long as you can in regard to this I would say. 

I fish around rocks too and usually use about 6 feet of mono leader, and I keep it outside the guides all the time.  I'll retie if my leader gets around 3 feet.

2 hours ago, MB19565 said:

However passing my knot through guides makes it so that I have to check and retie my knot often-  which is a pain and too often I have to grab another rod/set up when I get into fish. 

I use wind-on leaders slightly longer than the rod and never notice or feel the knot going through guides.  If the leader is longer, say two or three times the rod length, the knot is noticeable.  If the leader is short and the knot is only wound through a few tip guides, the knot is noticeable.

I use a 15 foot mono leader that will attach to my lure or rig and hang down off the rod tip about 4 foot and wound around the spool about 3 times  and use a FG knot to attach the leader to my braid that is on the reel..

i use flouro when I fish during the day

Mono at night, I know, Im weird....

Length varies, I usually run 5 to 6 feet at night on the heavier stuff, 3 to 4 feet of flouro during day

Wow,  didn't expect these responses!   If I'm interpreting right-  most are passing your Braid to Fluro knot through your guides-  

As a side note- During some research last night - I read a tip that making Less turns on your FG can actually help reduce the profile of the knot as it allows the braid to sink deeper into the Fluro-  I had been making 22-24 turns thinking that I wanted a stronger knot.  Going to Try tying  with only 12-14 turns and see how it goes. also going to try shortening up my leader to 24-36"

I really appreciate the feedback- and  this Forum that allows us to exchange this kind of information. 

Edited by MB19565

22 hours ago, MB19565 said:

I use braid to Fluro with an FG Knot.  For throwing artificials-  spooks, swimbaits, paddletails etc.  I have historically kept my leaders on the longer end (3ft+).  Where I fish there are lots of rocks/structure and this has worked well- no breaks offs in the last 4 years.  However passing my knot through guides makes it so that I have to check and retie my knot often-  which is a pain and too often I have to grab another rod/set up when I get into fish.  Not to mention checking and retying my knots after every trip. 

By day & with a Surf Spinning rod I tie my Braid to a Spro Power Swivel & run Yozuri HD Pink Fluorocarbon to my Lure Clip, which is a Catch All bell shaped double gripping offshore rated clip. The leader length should match well with the rod & allow you to cast optimally. Pay close attention to your back cast because if your leader is too long you might be dropping down dangerously close to some rock behind you or other catch point and that could cause you to break your rod when you accelerate into a cast.

Factors that can influence leader length are basically the rod length and the anglers height & obviously where you are fishing and what's behind you. Therefore there's no one right answer for what the best leader length is but each time you fish there will be a length that's right for you and you kind of have to determine that yourself. 

During the day I have very little problems with the swivel coming back through the tip top, which by the way can damage your guide. Swivels help your braided line last longer because they greatly minimized line twist.

Many of today's spinning reels have technologies that also reduce line twist and so tying a knot can work for situations when you want a longer leader. The FG knot would be the night I would recommend if you're going eliminate the swivel and use a knot. The FG knot shouldn't have any issues going through your guides but one thing you can do is put a dab of Plyobond on the knot to kind of encapsulate it. I found doing this in advance really helps the knot go through the guides a little more smoothly.

At night if I'm fishing a spinning rod, I will ditch the swivel & most likely switch to monofilament.

Mostly I fish conventional reels though so I'm almost always connecting braid directly to leader. The main reason I do that is so that I can use longer leaders and over the course of a season that can pay very big dividends, mainly because it's stealthier.

Lastly regarding the FG knot, it's definitely going to give you Approximately 20% more  breaking strength then the second best knot which is in my opinion the Double Uni. Both knots can be kind of a pain in the rump to tie especially when it's cold out or at night. Therefore, It's always good to have a quick and dirty no slip knot to fall back on. One that will hold up to big fish. You're going to lose some breaking strength & the knot more than likely won't look quite as sleek but it's a necessary evil of doing business in snotty weather or when it's very dark out.

George Harvey taught me a lot when I was a kid & he showed me his nighttime knot. He used to use it when he fished his Pusher flies targeting very large Brown Trout - I'm talking about actual monsters. 

We used to vacation out at Block Island every fall in the 70's and so I started trying it on surf lures at night. The knot never failed me on a fish. Not only is it a perfect night time Tippet replacement knot for a fly fisherman, but because it's a no slip knot, it holds two dissimilar materials together really nicely and it's super easy to tie.

Since it's such an indispensable knot I figured I had better share it with you guys because I know a lot of you like to fish at night and deep into the season when it's cold out.

Step 1 - Line up your Braid and your Fluorocarbon or Monofilament Leader Material so that the tips are both pointing in the same direction.

PXL_20210623_143832664.jpg.b71a025f0daddc7c01742122beeb56fa.jpg

Step 2 - form a quick loop, laying the tag end of the material over-top & pinch it. 

PXL_20210623_143859057.jpg.14c6722b6c4b77c732122846d979ef89.jpg

Step 3 - run the tag end around your pointer finger and pinch it.

PXL_20210623_143949973.jpg.5204971831fa088910df042a1d756b82.jpg

Step 4 - Drop your tag into the loop.

PXL_20210623_144124766.jpg.a5ab5d84099a32002cdf6779c82394aa.jpg

Step 5 - Wrap the Tag around the looped line.

PXL_20210623_144133960.jpg.dee36611e77baee787e48771ba67d19b.jpg

Step 6 - pull all four lines snug.

PXL_20210623_144203624.jpg.b0b2edd8555b510ffd91468074b97808.jpg

PXL_20210623_144217995.jpg.1bb28e40740eeb0d73198cbefe9b2307.jpg

PXL_20210623_144345377.jpg.ace2b8560eb07bef59b90aa505ac6b10.jpg

Goes through the guides really well, absolutely no slip and I've caught everything from tarpon to GT's to Roosters to Stripers on this fast, simple knot that one can literally tie with their eyes closed.

Here's what does George Harvey knot looks like when it's being used for braided line and leader material:

PXL_20210623_143441139.jpg.df0cf86193956e1144823d9208d50187.jpg

Next, I will show you how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Enjoy!

Edited by CaryGreene
Typos

3 foot is about right with a dropper loop for teaser.   I dont like passing the knot through the guides.  I use uni to uni to tie my fireline to my flouro