ThrowinPlugs

Southern Jersey Sheepshead?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Question for you guys. Heading down to the wildwood area this weekend forr a photoshoot my girl is shooting at, ruining my plans to hit montauk this weekend.i figured screw it ill strap up the kayak and bring some gear. I wanna target sheepshead, but can't find anything about limits, seasons etc. Can anyone give me an idea of if there's an actual season or not? I have an idea where I wanna fish but just wanna make sure I'm legal haha. Thanks!

No limits. Don’t know the term for this, but it’s not a federal species and not native to NJ

2 hours ago, robtf said:

No limits. Don’t know the term for this, but it’s not a federal species and not native to NJ

Thats kinda what I figured but I wanted to ask. Thanks!

I am not "pluggin" for anybody but if you want to catch sheepshead in Wildwood you want to call Dan Schaefer at Insomniac Guide Service....  he has this dialed in like nobody else...  we are both on the TD Pro Staff and he loves hunting sheepies... and he always seems to find them...

1 min ago, fmtuna said:

I am not "pluggin" for anybody but if you want to catch sheepshead in Wildwood you want to call Dan Schaefer at Insomniac Guide Service....  he has this dialed in like nobody else...  we are both on the TD Pro Staff and he loves hunting sheepies... and he always seems to find them...

x2.. I've gone with Dan for Stripers in the fall and he has the back bay dialed in like no one else in the area.

15 mins ago, fmtuna said:

I'd love to have a guide but I don't have that kinda extra cash right now. Good to know though!

29 mins ago, Fishit 2 said:

The sheeps are hit an miss around here, the NJ state record was Caught right here in my town a few years back.

On a flounder rig with a rusty hook...near a big orange boat...Lol... :-)

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, cec127 said:

What are you going to use for bait? Fiddler crabs are hard to come by at a tackle shop in NJ.

Flip some rocks over near any rocky shorline at low tide and collect as many crabs as you want.

Edited by bbfish

48 mins ago, cec127 said:

What are you going to use for bait? Fiddler crabs are hard to come by at a tackle shop in NJ.

They are easy to find around my area. Much more difficult to get unless you like up-to-your-knees soft boot sucking muck. Plus then you have to trap them somehow.

3 mins ago, robtf said:

They are easy to find around my area. Much more difficult to get unless you like up-to-your-knees soft boot sucking muck. Plus then you have to trap them somehow.

Yeah agree difficult to trap when just go down to fish for the day. Cuts into the fishing time. 

Call Tight Lines B&T in Somers Point and see if they have sand fleas.... or some greenies maybe.... they are usually solid for bait... about 10 min off the parkway and you can swing off on your way down maybe...

... or flukin... why not...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey FM, have you tried the new bait shop on Bay Ave in Somers Point? I believe it used to be called Brennans? They advertise bait and seem to list a good selection, might have to take a ride over this afternoon and see.

As far as other bait - I go down to the Bay and turn over rocks, there are tons of those small black crabs around.

Edited by Fishit 2