Doc of the Bay

Boot foot waders

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a pair off Sierra trading Reddington brand it’s not what your asking about but they’re a killer pair of waders love them theyre a good store to check for waders

They cost me $98.00 almost $150.00 off!

102807BB-AE5C-4713-943B-0A849B7F1885.jpeg

FA55D87F-6D74-46CB-8439-DC5402563E69.jpeg

Edited by mkus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both my warm weather and cold weather waders are caddis brand. I haven't had any issues with them so far. I've had both pairs for over 5 years and the durability has been good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a pair of Caddis back about 9 yrs ago.Lasted for 5 years and took a beating.The seam at one of the boot top had a little leak over time and was fixed.The final death of them was I actually wore out the fabric itself at the knees and thighs from wear.Cut the waders away and saved the boots for washing the truck and yard work.The only drawback out of the whole experience was the boots were heavy on long walks on open beaches[built up the legs muscles].

 Had a pair of Reddington stocking foots that lasted ever longer than the Caddis [living in Maine].Great waders too.The same issue.I just wore out the fabric.A little pinhole leak in one bootie that made a sock damp but never a real issue.I'd buy both again.I'm in a pair of Simms freestones[stocking foots] that were purchased while using the Reddingtons but stayed in the box till they failed.So far so good on the Simms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, titleguy said:

I have simms G3 boot foots for salt and cold weather- they are phenomenal.

Like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo, the Simms cost at least 4X what the Caddis waders will run you. BTW, they all suck, including the overpriced Simms which will shortly be approaching the $1K mark, ridiculous.

 

I recently bought FroggsToggs, seem to be cheaply made and ready to leak before the first time out. We will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, titleguy said:

I have simms G3 boot foots for salt and cold weather- they are phenomenal.

never had simms bootfoot. but can say the stocking foot is great. i dont think much can compare to simms as long as your willing to pay the price. simms lasts a LONG time. money well spent if you fish a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kype said:

never had simms bootfoot. but can say the stocking foot is great. i dont think much can compare to simms as long as your willing to pay the price. simms lasts a LONG time. money well spent if you fish a lot. 

If you go for the extra priced Simms bootfoots, they will still leak in my experience with two different styles of Simms bootfoots, which I paid extra for. They have a one yr. guarantee against leaks, as we all know, right? After the first repair, you're on your own. My second repair, in my opinion, totally unjustified as to their mention of "cause", cost me $90. Done with Simms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, flysully said:

If you go for the extra priced Simms bootfoots, they will still leak in my experience with two different styles of Simms bootfoots, which I paid extra for. They have a one yr. guarantee against leaks, as we all know, right? After the first repair, you're on your own. My second repair, in my opinion, totally unjustified as to their mention of "cause", cost me $90. Done with Simms.

like i said, i have never owned bootfoot waders. only stocking foot. i doubt any company can make a great bootfoot because the boot part is so much heavier then the wader part. its bound to leak. theres a lot of stress points there where the boot meets the wader. IMO stocking foot is better, especially since they now make wading boots as comfy as hiking boots. higher end waders already come with built in gravel guards. cheaper ones will have the slip over gravel guards. which are garbage. no point in slip over gravel guards. thats my 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kype said:

like i said, i have never owned bootfoot waders. only stocking foot. i doubt any company can make a great bootfoot because the boot part is so much heavier then the wader part. its bound to leak. theres a lot of stress points there where the boot meets the wader. IMO stocking foot is better, especially since they now make wading boots as comfy as hiking boots. higher end waders already come with built in gravel guards. cheaper ones will have the slip over gravel guards. which are garbage. no point in slip over gravel guards. thats my 2 cents. 

kype, you're definitely correct that the boot/wader leg connection on bootfoot waders is the weak spot. Confirmed by many Orvis waders I & my fishing partner had to return over the years with their customer satisfaction warranty, getting free replacement. I almost felt guilty and then, after returning 16 prs. of waders,  I did feel guilty. I shouldn't have because I was not keeping dry in my Orvis waders & Orvis had been my go to fly fishing vendor for years but I turned in my last pair of Orvis bootfoot waders a couple of years ago, and the store granted me & fishing partner full replacement fee of the waders. I did feel badly about this BUT, realistically, their bootfoot waders were just not leakproof, and I think they knew. Their customer service phone rep told me, explicitly, on my final Orvis wader return, "if our waders don't keep you dry, you should return them because, waders are made to keep you dry." Yep, that's what she said. 

  Switched to aforementioned Simms bootfoots: same old leakage story, maybe a bit longer wearing but same old story. Leaking first repair, free, Second repair, of course, to be expected, I pay. $100 bucks? Went for a second pair Simms. SOS. As I said, I fish the surf. Waves, sand flowing over my bootfoot waders as I fish. I need bootfoot waders because I don't want sand underfoot in my wading boots/stockingfoot waders. 

  Right now, I'm in LLBean bootfoots. No leakage but side "sealed" seams are separating. Put Goop on them. New warranty with Bean waders so we've got to repair what we're wearing and hope for the best.

Bootfoot waders are my preference but will continue to be a big expense in my fishing life, I know, and that shouldn't be considering the price we're paying for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, flysully said:

 

  Right now, I'm in LLBean bootfoots. No leakage but side "sealed" seams are separating. Put Goop on them. New warranty with Bean waders so we've got to repair what we're wearing and hope for the best.

 

 

Where are the seams separating--outside or inside? I have had a couple pair of Beans. Their seams don't leak but the seams on the inside tend to get abraded due to clothes rubbing on them. 

 

There's this stuff called GearAid Tenacious tape I'm trying for repairs along with aquaseal. Seems to be working pretty well. It's not too expensive either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I still use a pair of La cross boot foot waders I bought 12 years ago. I only use them for surf fishing, there still going strong. Only problem is my feet got longer from old age.

Edited by hunter123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flysully said:

kype, you're definitely correct that the boot/wader leg connection on bootfoot waders is the weak spot. Confirmed by many Orvis waders I & my fishing partner had to return over the years with their customer satisfaction warranty, getting free replacement. I almost felt guilty and then, after returning 16 prs. of waders,  I did feel guilty. I shouldn't have because I was not keeping dry in my Orvis waders & Orvis had been my go to fly fishing vendor for years but I turned in my last pair of Orvis bootfoot waders a couple of years ago, and the store granted me & fishing partner full replacement fee of the waders. I did feel badly about this BUT, realistically, their bootfoot waders were just not leakproof, and I think they knew. Their customer service phone rep told me, explicitly, on my final Orvis wader return, "if our waders don't keep you dry, you should return them because, waders are made to keep you dry." Yep, that's what she said. 

  Switched to aforementioned Simms bootfoots: same old leakage story, maybe a bit longer wearing but same old story. Leaking first repair, free, Second repair, of course, to be expected, I pay. $100 bucks? Went for a second pair Simms. SOS. As I said, I fish the surf. Waves, sand flowing over my bootfoot waders as I fish. I need bootfoot waders because I don't want sand underfoot in my wading boots/stockingfoot waders. 

  Right now, I'm in LLBean bootfoots. No leakage but side "sealed" seams are separating. Put Goop on them. New warranty with Bean waders so we've got to repair what we're wearing and hope for the best.

Bootfoot waders are my preference but will continue to be a big expense in my fishing life, I know, and that shouldn't be considering the price we're paying for them.

 

aqua seal is great as well. i keep a tube handy at all times. i once put a one inch hole in a pair of muck boots while hunting. 3 years later and they are still going strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.