JCH

Beach Snook - Tactics and Tips?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, flyangler said:

Manny, i checked the Jupiter Inlet cam and it looks a bit cleaner up there. I wish the pier had beach cams. 

Hi Tom -  we are up in CT for a couple of months. I'll ping you when we get back for the Mullet run I hope.

Meant to tell you - before we left I went out with my niece's husband (small stream trout guy from Atlanta) with a guide to do some snook/ baby tarpon dock light fishing. Had a great time throwing a 7wt. I smoked him of course, as he was making like 9 false casts, where I made like 2. I just told him it was a different game than small streams.

On 6/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, KyStriper said:

Blind Pass at daylight.

intermediate line

white and white over chartreuse clousers

Follow this advice, you should be good for a couple of snook each morning.

I caught my first snook doing this in that same place. 

About 25 years ago. 

5 hours ago, flyangler said:

^^^ more experience than me

Probably not,  just started a year ago in SWFL.  I love top water,  and gurglers although I only have a few,  have raised some decent ones at sunrise and sunset.  When its flat,  which is more often than the EC.  I would fish them all the time if conditions and locations allowed! I fish em on a quick retrieve with a harder pull every few seconds.  They are basically waking  with a more pronounced pop every few feet.

Posted (edited)

Went out to fish sunset tonight. Pilchards being smacked by small jacks and snook, about two pounders. Numerous blow ups but single hook makes for low percentage hook sets.

Caught one of each on the Yozuri I mentioned above. Slime weed in the water made anything subsurface a nuisance. Had one very much bigger snook cruising right at my feet in the trough but he would not respond, probably because he made me. Also had a pod of large tarpon show at the max of my casting range but I was not tossing a plug with that outfit. 

Sorry about the quality of the GIG. 

80F5EACB-55E9-4028-90D0-74FA043AE6EE.jpeg.cd2dc0ba7879e29aa48c88c738ab7019.jpeg

FF776450-6BAD-4AAC-AA55-1A6003BA1291.gif.3e00ed6e2d93a2907f6a9dca5ac5197f.gif

Edited by flyangler

On 7/10/2021 at 3:26 PM, gman1253 said:

Hi Tom -  we are up in CT for a couple of months. I'll ping you when we get back for the Mullet run I hope.

Meant to tell you - before we left I went out with my niece's husband (small stream trout guy from Atlanta) with a guide to do some snook/ baby tarpon dock light fishing. Had a great time throwing a 7wt. I smoked him of course, as he was making like 9 false casts, where I made like 2. I just told him it was a different game than small streams.

enjoy CT, we will be up there in October for a wedding. 

minnows are on the beach, finally. 

yeah, docks are a blast but tough unless you have the right line and right cast. 

I posted this in the PG photo thread but thought I would offer it here. not about fly fishing but that snook was cruising less than 15' off the sand and could have hit a big fly

Hit the beach Friday night and Saturday morning. Pilchards are around and getting chased by small jacks and snook last night. I did see a couple of big tarpon cruise through but I was not going to toss to them with my snook rod (spinning). 

fewer baits Saturday morning but they were there. I saw this big snook cruising back and forth but could not get him to look up at my skitter bait. then this guy, about 30 yards up the beach from me, hooked up and brought in "my fish" (ha!). it was a pretty good fight on a small rod and the fish was released. he was using a 5" paddle-tail on a 3/8oz jig head and put the lure right in front of "my snook". 

he was alone so I volunteered to take photos 

IMG_E5015.jpeg

And then there was this guy, throwing a big golden spool out far with his light snook rod. I saw his hooked up for 5+ minutes before I walked over to him to see what was up. My call was a big jack or a blacktiph hooked in the corner of the mouth. Not a 40+ snook nor a tarpon, no jumps. It went on another 10+ minutes before he got it close enough to get a look and see the yellow tail. the dude's big complaint, wanting to break it off and end his "agony"? sacrificing $40 worth of new PowerPro. unreal. 

So he was up and down the beach, drag nearly locked down on a 4000 size reel and 30# braid. it was another 10 minutes before he got the fish close enough for me to tail it and bring it up on the beach. I am not good at guessing weights but it easily went 30 pounds. It was almost 8" thick at the shoulders. the guy was so disgusted he barely raised the fish for the photo and then just dragged it to the water and let go. the fish didn't move so I grabbed the tail and spent a couple minutes reviving it, otherwise it was going to be shark bait. it eventually gave me a couple of kicks and i released it to watch it slowly swim away. since i had not seen a shark all day, i hope he made it to see another day. 

me? I took photos and got another small jack and 20"+ snook, but no photos. 

IMG_5022.jpeg

IMG_5031.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg

58 mins ago, Bucko said:

Wow. I wish Jacks like that were around off the beaches in the winter months.

they go where they can eat, unless they are marina donkeys, then they stay around year long. they will stay around as long as the mullet are on the beach in the autumn. and then they come back for the smaller spring mullet run and then the minnow run which is right about now. 

For year-round viewing, they do hang around certain spots. In the below, the opening still shot looking up Lake Worth is more or less the view from my office, which I have not really been in since March 2020. I think that was taken on the other side of our building. I drive an extra 15 minutes daily for that view, better than one of a parking lot closer to my home. 

Second, when we first moved to FL we rented on Singer Island for 3 years, just up the road from Sailfish Marina. I have seen this many times and it never ceases to elicit a "Holy chit" or similar when they come up and appear out  of nowhere. 

On 7/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, flyangler said:

I posted this in the PG photo thread but thought I would offer it here. not about fly fishing but that snook was cruising less than 15' off the sand and could have hit a big fly

Hit the beach Friday night and Saturday morning. Pilchards are around and getting chased by small jacks and snook last night. I did see a couple of big tarpon cruise through but I was not going to toss to them with my snook rod (spinning). 

fewer baits Saturday morning but they were there. I saw this big snook cruising back and forth but could not get him to look up at my skitter bait. then this guy, about 30 yards up the beach from me, hooked up and brought in "my fish" (ha!). it was a pretty good fight on a small rod and the fish was released. he was using a 5" paddle-tail on a 3/8oz jig head and put the lure right in front of "my snook". 

he was alone so I volunteered to take photos 

IMG_E5015.jpeg

And then there was this guy, throwing a big golden spool out far with his light snook rod. I saw his hooked up for 5+ minutes before I walked over to him to see what was up. My call was a big jack or a blacktiph hooked in the corner of the mouth. Not a 40+ snook nor a tarpon, no jumps. It went on another 10+ minutes before he got it close enough to get a look and see the yellow tail. the dude's big complaint, wanting to break it off and end his "agony"? sacrificing $40 worth of new PowerPro. unreal. 

So he was up and down the beach, drag nearly locked down on a 4000 size reel and 30# braid. it was another 10 minutes before he got the fish close enough for me to tail it and bring it up on the beach. I am not good at guessing weights but it easily went 30 pounds. It was almost 8" thick at the shoulders. the guy was so disgusted he barely raised the fish for the photo and then just dragged it to the water and let go. the fish didn't move so I grabbed the tail and spent a couple minutes reviving it, otherwise it was going to be shark bait. it eventually gave me a couple of kicks and i released it to watch it slowly swim away. since i had not seen a shark all day, i hope he made it to see another day. 

me? I took photos and got another small jack and 20"+ snook, but no photos. 

IMG_5022.jpeg

IMG_5031.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg

Love jacks & snook.... nice!

16 mins ago, gman1253 said:

Love jacks & snook.... nice!

yeah, well, i didn't catch them and, come to think of it, have not caught anything brag-worthy in calendar 2021. headed down to key biscayne on thursday so maybe i can try for a grand slam, but it won't be on flies if a permit is involved. 

13 mins ago, flyangler said:

yeah, well, i didn't catch them and, come to think of it, have not caught anything brag-worthy in calendar 2021. headed down to key biscayne on thursday so maybe i can try for a grand slam, but it won't be on flies if a permit is involved. 

Weather has been crappy up here so don't feel bad... very little to show for my efforts fish wise.

I'll try tomorrow early AM again. Outgoing tide...

4 hours ago, flyangler said:

they go where they can eat, unless they are marina donkeys, then they stay around year long. they will stay around as long as the mullet are on the beach in the autumn. and then they come back for the smaller spring mullet run and then the minnow run which is right about now. 

For year-round viewing, they do hang around certain spots. In the below, the opening still shot looking up Lake Worth is more or less the view from my office, which I have not really been in since March 2020. I think that was taken on the other side of our building. I drive an extra 15 minutes daily for that view, better than one of a parking lot closer to my home. 

Second, when we first moved to FL we rented on Singer Island for 3 years, just up the road from Sailfish Marina. I have seen this many times and it never ceases to elicit a "Holy chit" or similar when they come up and appear out  of nowhere. 

My thoughts as well the first time seeing those jacks in the marina at Singer.

SF

Woke up early this morning a got into a little pod of specks.  Then stuck another biggun' - 31" snook.  Ate right on the beach.

I don't know how you Florida guys get any work done!