Tristan454

50/50 Split

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Over the last 2 years I’ve owned/tried a few different types of rods and due to my circumstances have come to the conclusion that 50/50 split rods make the most sense for me. I live in NYC and do most of my fishing using my mountain bike and public transportation. 50/50 split rods are easier for me to transport and I don’t notice much of a difference compared to 70/30 or 60/40 splits. I’ve owned a number of Tsunamis and currently have an 11ft DNA which is 60/40 split however the rods that see the most use are ODM Genesis (9ft and 10ft) and also my Tica Dolphin TC3 (8ft). However, I’m curious as to what other good surf rods have 50/50 splits. SOL please let me know what you have for recommendations on this?

Thanks 

T

Most of the 2 piece Lamiglas GSB surf rods are 50/50 split, the exception being the 2 piece Skinner GSB which is 70/30.

4 mins ago, Water Dog said:

Most of the 2 piece Lamiglas GSB surf rods are 50/50 split, the exception being the 2 piece Skinner GSB which is 70/30.

Have been on the Lamiglas website this eve and it mentions that the GSB series rods are 70/30 split. I feel like last year they were 50/50 but that may have changed unless it’s a mistake. 

3 mins ago, Tristan454 said:

Have been on the Lamiglas website this eve and it mentions that the GSB series rods are 70/30 split. I feel like last year they were 50/50 but that may have changed unless it’s a mistake. 

Indeed…. looks like the latest 2 piece GSBs are all 70/30 split now.  Good eye!

2 hours ago, Tristan454 said:

Over the last 2 years I’ve owned/tried a few different types of rods and due to my circumstances have come to the conclusion that 50/50 split rods make the most sense for me. I live in NYC and do most of my fishing using my mountain bike and public transportation. 50/50 split rods are easier for me to transport and I don’t notice much of a difference compared to 70/30 or 60/40 splits. I’ve owned a number of Tsunamis and currently have an 11ft DNA which is 60/40 split however the rods that see the most use are ODM Genesis (9ft and 10ft) and also my Tica Dolphin TC3 (8ft). However, I’m curious as to what other good surf rods have 50/50 splits. SOL please let me know what you have for recommendations on this?

Thanks 

T

Okuma CSX surf,great stick!

3-8oz 10 ft.

HH

I also live in small quarters and drive a small car.  Even 50/50 can be cumbersome at times for me. Mainly when family is in car as well. 

I use 3 & 4 piece rods alot.   

My vote goes to the 9ft ODM Genesis. It's an amazing rod, very versatile and I have put the rod through the ringer and it surprises me every trip. I also have a 8'6 Gloomis IMX Surf. It's a great rod with a lot of action for pencils and swim baits.

19 hours ago, Tristan454 said:

However, I’m curious as to what other good surf rods have 50/50 splits.

Okuma Rockaway Surf rods

From 8' to 12, all 50/50 splits.

Not to be confused with Okuma Rockaway HD that are 70/30 split.