vandeda

PowerPro knots, what am I doing wrong

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

So I got Power Pro 65 lb depth hunter line. I've tried Palomar and uni knots as recommended by power pro tied to a swivel. I also tied Albright special and alberto knot to 80 lb mono. I then broke my knots using a digital scale with peak hold. No matter how hard I try, my power pro keeps breaking between 30-40 lbs. I must be missing something and tying my knots terribly wrong because that just seems too low for knot strength. I'd love some help to figure out where I'm going wrong.

I've lifted a 10 lb and 20 lb weights to verify the relative accuracy of the scale. 

With all my braid when tieing a Palomar knot, pass the loop of the overhand stage of the knot twice thru, instead of just once.

Most of the time I tie a Bimini and loop on my swivel... Won't break on you...

I been using uni knot for as long as braid been out .. 

you looping through the eyelet twice ? And how many turns ? For heavey braid 5-6 for lighter more 

38 mins ago, eelbasher said:

Bad batch of braid. Get new and try that

Is there a good way to test this without tying knots? I did have the line break a couple of times between knots, but wrote it off as some other mistake on my part.

1 min ago, Wire For Fire said:

I been using uni knot for as long as braid been out .. 

you looping through the eyelet twice ? And how many turns ? For heavey braid 5-6 for lighter more 

Double loop through eye. Checked to make sure not crossed over each other. Tried from 6 to 10 turns.

Improved clinch got me 35 lbs again.

19 mins ago, vandeda said:

Is there a good way to test this without tying knots? I did have the line break a couple of times between knots, but wrote it off as some other mistake on my part.

With any regular braided line (no matter the number of “carriers” 4/8/etc), the uni knot to swivel should be the weak point by far. 

In other words, it should never break elsewhere. Bad batch seems likely. 

1 hour ago, vandeda said:

So I got Power Pro 65 lb depth hunter line. I've tried Palomar and uni knots as recommended by power pro tied to a swivel. I also tied Albright special and alberto knot to 80 lb mono. I then broke my knots using a digital scale with peak hold. No matter how hard I try, my power pro keeps breaking between 30-40 lbs. I must be missing something and tying my knots terribly wrong because that just seems too low for knot strength. I'd love some help to figure out where I'm going wrong.

I've lifted a 10 lb and 20 lb weights to verify the relative accuracy of the scale. 

Try tying an FG and a PR knot(if you have a bobbin) and testing them. Is the line breaking at the knot? Maybe you got a bad batch of braid?

Try seeing what the braid breaks at without a knot.(Should break at over 70lbs)

First determine whether the braid is any good. Then proceed with other knots.

I believe I was able to successfully break the line without knots,, and it appeared to give way at about 50 lbs. I may try more tomorrow, but feel like I'm wasting a lot of time on this too :/

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you're using the line to decrease your line size only your wasting your time, I have 80 lb line on my oversized sturgeon rods, fish to 10 ft. in heavy current. My Penn 320 GTi reels have drags in the 18 lb. range, if it breaks at 50 lbs. so what. An improved clinch knot, even if you double the turns will unravel with little load. Don't use it with braid.  I use a Uni knot superglued.

Edited by spoonplugger1

1 hour ago, vandeda said:

feel like I'm wasting a lot of time on this too :/

It isn't a waste of time.  Imagine finding this out after hooking your dream fish.

A lot of people have had funky things happen with Power Pro and there is talk of bad batches.  Either way, you've lost your confidence in it now so it's a hinderance.  Might as well replace it.  

I might be wrong, but I don't think knot strength is the same as line strength. If it's unraveling, probably a bad knot.  If it's snapping, probably bad line.  But I would think any knot would be considered a weak point.