Capefox

Weird Daiwa Saltist 50H

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm trying to figure out why my particular copy of the Daiwa Saltist 50H I purchased couldn't make two casts without birds-nesting.

In this case, I don't think user error is the root cause. I own and love the very similar Daiwa Seagate 50H. The Seagate is surprisingly docile for such a huge reel (allowing easy 90-yard casts with 8-n-bait and 40 lb mono mainline), is rugged, and powerful. Having learned that the Seagate is an austere, graphite-framed variant of the Saltist, I was eager to buy a copy of one. When the Saltist arrived I couldn't have been happier: it is a high-quality, aluminum-framed reel that looks very dashing in its anodized black and shiny blue finish. From the engineering, the materials, and the fit-and-finish points of view, I prefer the Saltist to my Penn Fathom 30 and 40. 

However, things went awry while practicing casting on the sports field. No matter what I did, that big Saltist birds-nested during almost every cast. (I dusted off my skill at unpicking the tangled messes, which reminded me of my early days casting into strong Southeaster breezes with a Penn 500.) I tried both the red and the white blocks, I cleaned the blocks and braking mechanism, I adjusted the side-play on the spool tension, I switched between 80 lb braid and 40 lb mono, used 5/6/8 ounce payloads, more or less thumb, thumb on the rim only, etc. Nothing helped. This particular example of the Saltist 50H must have been an unusual lemon, because it was a far cry from the casting ease of the Seagate 50H. Any ideas on what's going on here? 

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to bash Daiwa or Penn products. I just suspect I had a rare lemon and want to figure out what happened.   

Edited by Capefox

Maybe switch out the oil in the bearings to a thicker grade as your next experiment. 

Perhaps ask the same same question in the distance casting forum. 

I bought a 35H last summer and first time out it was blowing up like crazy. I even added smaller pieces of blocks to try to tame it. I think the aluminum spool makes it hotter than a seagate. 
makes you feel like a first time baitcaster. 

I had the same problem with a smaller Daiwa saltist  so I sold it. I regret that now. Nick, from breakaway tackle put up a youtube video on how to static mag those reels . pretty simple solution.

I would practice with short, fieldcasts, with the spool tension snug. Progressively cast further while tweaking the tension looser as the distance increases. If you can’t figure it out, the mentioned static mag is easy to install, and it will even out the spool speed.

Edited by cheech
Spell

I've had mixed results with static magging, but I wonder if it's possible to cobble together a decent mono mag for a large conventional reel. I'm sure I'd need a large rare earth magnet to tame the larger spool. I contacted Blakdog in the UK to see if they had a big mono and they said they didn't make anything big enough for a Saltist 50H.  

16 hours ago, Capefox said:

I've had mixed results with static magging, but I wonder if it's possible to cobble together a decent mono mag for a large conventional reel. I'm sure I'd need a large rare earth magnet to tame the larger spool. I contacted Blakdog in the UK to see if they had a big mono and they said they didn't make anything big enough for a Saltist 50H.  

Place a larger (say 10x4mm) magnet on the 6x3mm that is typically used in mono-mags

7 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Place a larger (say 10x4mm) magnet on the 6x3mm that is typically used in mono-mags

OK. I'll give it a try. Thank, ZAF
PS: Is that a kingfish in your profile logo? Is a kingfish the same as a Grand Trevally? My friends from Hawaii call them "Ulua".  Tough fish for ultra heavy tackle and anglers with arms as thick as tree trunks.

We call them Kingfish, same as Trevally. Bluefin Kingfish is in my profile

So Giant Kingfish in South Africa is the same as a Giant Trevally is the same as an Ulua

I just bought a 35H, but don't really plan to be casting it. I just needed something to go with my new Black Widow 300 for Nantucket fluking and whatever else that heavy stick may be good for. Loaded it with 30# Sufix.

1 min ago, animalbarrie said:

What brake blocks do you have in it? 

I started out with the white blocks and then switched to the red, then back. My Daiwa Seagate 50H is easily controlled with the white blocks, and I was hoping for the same in the Saltist.  

4 mins ago, Capefox said:

I started out with the white blocks and then switched to the red, then back. My Daiwa Seagate 50H is easily controlled with the white blocks, and I was hoping for the same in the Saltist.  

Add the red blocks on the inside of the white blocks.  Try running both at the same time.  If that is too much braking, run a black and white block.  I've never casted 40lb mono though, I'd imagine it's a bit harder.  Have you made sure to stretch out your mono on the reel?  Hook it up to something solid and walk away 100 yards.  Stretch it for a bit and really pack the line down tight when you spool it back on. 

On my saltist 20h and 30h I only run 2 reds and I've never come close to blowing them up.  I am only casting 20lb mono though.  I have two Saltiga Surf 30's and I have to run 2 white and 2 black to keep that thing under control.

You do not need to mag that reel.

Edited by animalbarrie

I’ve been doing some research on  mono magging reels to.There were just a couple Seigler’s on the bst forum that were custom mono magged by reelkustomreels.I’ve seen some videos from guys using their reels and seem to love his work. The mags are made out of brass instead of aluminum. I don’t think he makes any kits though. I think you have to send the reels to them to be customized.From what I gather watching the videos he can make the mag as big or as small as you want it.Maybe you could  talk to the member That had his reels done there Or the members that bought them and see what they think. I hope this helps. EA

19 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

I’ve been doing some research on  mono magging reels to.There were just a couple Seigler’s on the bst forum that were custom mono magged by reelkustomreels.I’ve seen some videos from guys using their reels and seem to love his work. The mags are made out of brass instead of aluminum. I don’t think he makes any kits though. I think you have to send the reels to them to be customized.From what I gather watching the videos he can make the mag as big or as small as you want it.Maybe you could  talk to the member That had his reels done there Or the members that bought them and see what they think. I hope this helps. EA

ReelKustomReels is just one guy and his name is Matt.  I own 4 reels that were magged by Matt.  He did three Penn Torques for me.  For my Seigler SM he only added a stronger mag.  He does outstanding work and could certainly slow down this Saltist.  

I honestly think doubling up the brake blocks will solve the issue though.  

Edited by animalbarrie