ReelSailor

WTB VS Gold 150

26 posts in this topic

You may already know this, but I'll state it just in case.  Early reels were only available in black or gold.  Gold was preferred in the South, while black sold better in the Northeast.  Thus, the model designations included either an S or an N depending on the reel's color.

Here's my USA VS 150S (S stood for gold on early reels) with original box and bag.  There's a tiny flea bite on the rear right side, visible in the 5th photo.  $1300 shipped and insured.

VS_150S_left.jpg

VS_150S_right.jpg

VS_150S_face2.jpg

VS_150S_cup.jpg

VS_150S_back.jpg

VS_150S_top.jpg

VS_150S_bottom.jpg

VS_150S_box.jpg

VS_150S_bag.jpg

2 hours ago, Pendulauncher said:

You may already know this, but I'll state it just in case.  Early reels were only available in black or gold.  Gold was preferred in the South, while black sold better in the Northeast.  Thus, the model designations included either an S or an N depending on the reel's color.

Here's my USA VS 150S (S stood for gold on early reels) with original box and bag.  There's a tiny flea bite on the rear right side, visible in the 5th photo.  $1300 shipped and insured.

VS_150S_left.jpg

VS_150S_right.jpg

VS_150S_face2.jpg

VS_150S_cup.jpg

VS_150S_back.jpg

VS_150S_top.jpg

VS_150S_bottom.jpg

VS_150S_box.jpg

VS_150S_bag.jpg

S or N was only for jurisdiction. N was newell Connecticut. S was always silver. N is for Newell. Applies to all colors except G. Early reels available in 3 color-ways. Before 7000 was US made. Anything further is china. Per website. 

8 hours ago, Pendulauncher said:

VS_150S_left.jpg

VS_150S_right.jpg

VS_150S_face2.jpg

VS_150S_cup.jpg

VS_150S_back.jpg

VS_150S_top.jpg

VS_150S_bottom.jpg

VS_150S_box.jpg

VS_150S_bag.jpg

1100 and I’ll PayPal now 

Posted (edited) · Report post

26 mins ago, Pendulauncher said:

Meet me in the middle at $1200 and she's yours.

1125....max budget for me was 1100. 

Edited by ReelSailor

7 hours ago, staalkingq said:

S or N was only for jurisdiction. N was newell Connecticut. S was always silver. N is for Newell. Applies to all colors except G. Early reels available in 3 color-ways. Before 7000 was US made. Anything further is china. Per website. 

I don't know about the "jurisdictions", but I've seen North and South in print (perhaps The Surfcaster?).  I think I had that discussion with Van Staal the same day I called them to discuss whether or not they'd ever offer silver as a color option.  S was NOT always silver.  Silver (clear anodizing) wasn't an option until the early 2000s.

VS200_010.jpg

IMGP1246.jpg

4 mins ago, Pendulauncher said:

I don't know about the "jurisdictions", but I've seen North and South in print (perhaps The Surfcaster?).  I think I had that discussion with Van Staal the same day I called them to discuss whether or not they'd ever offer silver as a color option.  S was NOT always silver.  Silver (clear anodizing) wasn't an option until the early 2000s.

VS200_010.jpg

IMGP1246.jpg

100% correct the way you described. N was marketed towards the North and S to the South. 

8 hours ago, staalkingq said:

Zoom in on the white sticker on the lower right.

IMGP1329.JPG