blazingLion

Surf casting rod recommendation

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

PSW760M

Not new to surf fishing but I have a 9’ surf spinning rod for throwing plugs. Looking for a 12’+ casting rod for chunking out further that can handle a solid 4-10oz weight plus bait. Would like to pair it with an Avet HX raptor 80-100lb braid, and would like to stay under $300. Target species is really any bigger fish (rays/sharks). Any recommendations? Thanks. 

-XF

Before I started using conventional for a heaver I used a Tica 12’ XXH 4-10.  Realistically 8oz and a head is top end but works.  It’s lower than your expected price range I think but has served well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been really happy with a 12-foot Heavy Penn Battalion rated for 5-10 oz. lures. I cast about 90 yards with a Daiwa Seagate 50H and 8 oz sinkers, and 110+ yards with an Akios 757 and 5 oz sinker. The Carnage #CARSFII5080C12 is also a heck of a rod. I've had no trouble fighting rays and small sharks with it. As a matter of practicality, it's a little hard to find tackle right now as many foreign supply sources, incl. Penn's overseas factories, are depleted. Most U.S. manufacturers are doing better. 

Edited by Capefox

2 mins ago, ReelSailor said:

Can’t go wrong with Ocean Master… IMHO it’s the best bang for buck. 

I've been hearing good things about this rod, but I can't find it anywhere.

Just now, blazingLion said:

Everything is still sold out in most places still due to covid and everyone buying everything up. 

I got one for 120-125 shipped with one of their deals online a long time ago. Recently saw it last year for about 130 ish with a coupon. 

If you google or YouTube the rod, you’ll see it’s worth it. 

9 hours ago, ReelSailor said:

Everything is still sold out in most places still due to covid and everyone buying everything up. 

I got one for 120-125 shipped with one of their deals online a long time ago. Recently saw it last year for about 130 ish with a coupon. 

If you google or YouTube the rod, you’ll see it’s worth it. 

Figures, I'll give it a shot and post up a WTB.

16 hours ago, blazingLion said:

house brand for Bass Pro Shops.  I have the 12' MH conventional and so far it handles up to 8oz in my football field testing.  It's rated for much more but the 8oz felt like it was enough for a nice smooth cast.  At 6oz I can easily put a lot of ummph into it and not feel like it's overloaded. 

17 hours ago, rkw said:

house brand for Bass Pro Shops.  I have the 12' MH conventional and so far it handles up to 8oz in my football field testing.  It's rated for much more but the 8oz felt like it was enough for a nice smooth cast.  At 6oz I can easily put a lot of ummph into it and not feel like it's overloaded. 

Yea, and closest one to me is 2 hours away. I'll keep me eye out for them to be in stock.

I'll second any of the Penn Battalion rods. There good buys for the money. I use a  BTL conventional 12' I think 10 or 12 once max, it cast great, I use it with a Penn 990 mag for sharks, and it's my go to red drum rod. It's a 8 n bait.