Dave Peros

XTRATUF: Not What They Used To Be?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, hobobob said:

Only if you want wet feets. The ones you are showing are for mall shopping. 

Or the pier,all the cool kids are wearing them:rav:

I love guys like you; a reputable source does an analysis of a product and all you can do is question it because you have so much more information. Are you in the Consumer Reports business and do product analysis? Why is it so hard to acknowledge that XTRATUF products  have definitely fallen off in quality. 

definitely not what they used to be.

back then made in US.  (correct me if something else changed after china)
i bought 4 new pairs with blemishes 10-15? or so years ago.  they used to sell them like seconds cigars.
could be a stitching here or there thats off, or some extra rubber bits. but great price.  heavy discount off the normal goods.

the fact they sold seconds, indicated they had a decent QC team. that actually checked the boots.

you definitely cant buy new seconds anymore.

i dont care for them. they just sit in the garage in open air. just rinse and throw them aside.

a little dirty, scarred up, but still keeps dry, i dont slip on decks. havent had a seam break yet.

the new stuff is 50/50,  the company went to asia to buy cheap and sell high.

some people get good examples. some dont.

On 6/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, olvart said:

Or the pier,all the cool kids are wearing them:rav:

Well it is tarpon season...

Ill stick to flip flops for the pier :howdy:

On 6/20/2021 at 7:39 PM, Dave Peros said:

Bought a new pair of deck boots a couple of months ago and the fit was incredibly sloppy in the same size I always buy. The material also seems a lot more flimsy. 

A couple of the guys at the boatyard I help out at said that XTRATUF boots are now being made in China, where before they were strictly U.S.

Wonder if anyone who has been using XTRATUF for any length of time and recently bought a new pair has anything to say about the ones being sold today vs. "the old days."

All I know is I am disappointed with what I have now.

I had a pair 15 years ago and loved them.  Once they wore out I tossed them and switched back and forth between different brands before settling on Mucks.    

Last year I saw XtraTuffs at Kittery and bought a pair thinking what the heck.     Got them home and was very disappointed.   Fit like crap and made in china.   Quality wasn't there anymore either.        Another lost customer as I will never buy another pair.

Posted (edited)

About 10 years ago we went to Alaska and went into a hardware store  - a full aisle of just XTRA tuff boots - and a lot of people wearing them. 

Stopped in Whitehorse in the Yukon on the way back.   It was a "hot" day (in the 60's),   went into a grocery store and the ladies were  wearing XTRA tuff boots and short shorts.

Edited by Schooner Fred
addition

I've worn their boots since the mid 90s...when I worked on head boats, and then as a longliner out of Barnegat Light. Back then EVERYONE in the industry wore the tall brown ones rolled down...everyone...and they were indestructible...20+ years later and they more or less fit the same, but the quality is nowhere near what it used to be, and as others have said, they've become a junky lifestyle brand.  I still have the 6" ankle boots in a few colors...Wear them in slush, rain, etc....casually...But would NOT trust them as actual workwear...Believe they're owned by Honeywell these days...BOGS and MUCK make good deck boots...

“Back then EVERYONE in the industry wore the tall brown ones rolled down...everyone..”

And they would never crack or have a memory when rolled down.

They had a lining that was cool and you could just slip your foot into them easy.

Sold out for profit like every thing else.

ps: durring the Exxon Valdeez oil spill they must have sold 50k pairs of these.

Every worker had at least 2 pairs for free.

I’ve been wearing a pair of grundens deck boss boots this season, honestly they are more comfortable than my sneakers. If they hold up and I think they will I am a loyal customer for quite a while.