XTRATUF: Not What They Used To Be?

Rate this topic

Dave Peros

I can vouch for this.  I normally buy 1 to 2 pairs a year (second pair is normally gifted). I work at a marina. Keep a pair in each truck.  The past two years they have sucked. Fitment and the bottom leak . I used to walk across oyster shell that have been scrped off boats for new bottom paint like it wasn't an issue and it never was for the first 5 years or more .now these boots get eaten alive if I do .they can't touch anything rigged now. Diff rubber or thinner I don't know . I destroyed  a brand new pair on some shells. 

15 hours ago, Dave Peros said:

Actually if you look it up, they are made in the Pacific Northwest.

"DECK-BOSS BOOT SAFETY TOE DESCRIPTION

The Grundéns Deck-Boss Boot Safety Toe is designed for superior safety and performance. Built with an ASTM certified steel safety toe and puncture-resistant full-length steel shank, Deck-Boss Boot Safety Toe delivers protection where it matters most. Grundéns Deck-Boss Boot Safety-Toe also features the SRC rated Herkules Grip™ outsole (the highest level of slip resistance testing on the market) for superior traction in all environments. Built to be tough and durable, Deck-Boss boots are made with an injection-molded upper that eliminates delamination and cracking. Grundéns Deck-Boss boots are designed in the Pacific Northwest."

Nowhere on the website does it say where the boots are made.  A copy writers slight of hand.  Clearly if Grundens products were made in the US or Canada, it would be plastered all over their website.

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

The Grundéns Deck-Boss Boot Safety Toe is designed for superior safety and performance. Built with an ASTM certified steel safety toe and puncture-resistant full-length steel shank, Deck-Boss Boot Safety Toe delivers protection where it matters most. Grundéns Deck-Boss Boot Safety-Toe also features the SRC rated Herkules Grip™ outsole (the highest level of slip resistance testing on the market) for superior traction in all environments. Built to be tough and durable, Deck-Boss boots are made with an injection-molded upper that eliminates delamination and cracking. Grundéns Deck-Boss boots are designed in the Pacific Northwest."

Nowhere on the website does it say where the boots are made.  A copy writers slight of hand.  Clearly if Grundens products were made in the US or Canada, it would be plastered all over their website.

That’s the new marketing gimmick on tons of products. They say designed in the USA or designed in California and then they are made in China. They never mention the made in China anywhere except for on the packaging or product. Now with must purchases being done online you never see the made in China until it gets to your house. 

Glad I saw this thread when I did. I ordered my first pair of XtraTuf Deck Boots a few weeks ago on a whim and they didn’t fit. Was going to exchange for another size but I won’t be doing that. Thanks for the heads up. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

When I was in AK in the 80’s everyone wore these,usually rolled down.

The new ones are garbage!
The low cut version in the post above are all the style on FL. Piers these days,junk!

Oopsie daisy,my pic wont load but the originals were about 12-15” tall.

Edited by olvart

5 hours ago, Cpalms said:

“Made with premium synthetic rubber, all Grundéns Deck-Boss Boots are proudly manufactured in the Pacific Northwest.”

https://www.backbonemedia.news/new-blog-5/2018/10/1/grundns-introduces-two-new-boots-to-the-deck-boss-collection-insulated-and-safety-toe-1

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever~Jacques Yves Cousteau

Glad I read this. I was going to buy a pair of the ankle boots. Currently using those cheap marlins, they are holding up well but not much support and I wanted something with a lower profile. 

Anyone try the frog tog deck boots?

12 mins ago, harley48 said:

“Made with premium synthetic rubber, all Grundéns Deck-Boss Boots are proudly manufactured in the Pacific Northwest.”

https://www.backbonemedia.news/new-blog-5/2018/10/1/grundns-introduces-two-new-boots-to-the-deck-boss-collection-insulated-and-safety-toe-1

yeah, from Backbone Media - whatever the F that is. If Grunden's products were manufactured in the US or Canada - that information would be pretty easy to find directly on their website. No?

1 min ago, Cpalms said:

yeah, from Backbone Media - whatever the F that is. If Grunden's products were manufactured in the US or Canada - that information would be pretty easy to find directly on their website. No?

No clue, I don’t run their website. Here’s another link https://allamericanreviews.com/best-rubber-boots/

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever~Jacques Yves Cousteau

1 min ago, harley48 said:

No clue, I don’t run their website. Here’s another link https://allamericanreviews.com/best-rubber-boots/

Never heard of "All lAmerican Reviews" either ....anyway so I just called the Grunden's 800 number out of curiosity.  According to the lady at Grundens, the Deck Boss boots are the only Grundens product made in the US (Illinois) ALL of their other products (boots, foul weather gear, Goretex, etc) are made in either Portugal or Vietnam.  There you have it.

2 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Never heard of "All lAmerican Reviews" either ....anyway so I just called the Grunden's 800 number out of curiosity.  According to the lady at Grundens, the Deck Boss boots are the only Grundens product made in the US (Illinois) ALL of their other products (boots, foul weather gear, Goretex, etc) are made in either Portugal or Vietnam.  There you have it.

“Nowhere on the website does it say where the boots are made.  A copy writers slight of hand.  Clearly if Grundens products were made in the US or Canada, it would be plastered all over their website.”

So you were incorrect. 

Just now, harley48 said:

“Nowhere on the website does it say where the boots are made.  A copy writers slight of hand.  Clearly if Grundens products were made in the US or Canada, it would be plastered all over their website.”

So you were incorrect. 

You're pretty sharp.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Which boots are the ones that you guys like or used to like? Are they these 6” ankle boots? I definitely see a lot guys wearing them on fishing shows/YouTube. 

E3203784-F5C9-4500-94F1-04233499558B.jpeg

Only if you want wet feets. The ones you are showing are for mall shopping.