Dave Peros

XTRATUF: Not What They Used To Be?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Bought a new pair of deck boots a couple of months ago and the fit was incredibly sloppy in the same size I always buy. The material also seems a lot more flimsy. 

A couple of the guys at the boatyard I help out at said that XTRATUF boots are now being made in China, where before they were strictly U.S.

Wonder if anyone who has been using XTRATUF for any length of time and recently bought a new pair has anything to say about the ones being sold today vs. "the old days."

All I know is I am disappointed with what I have now.

Yea, they went from being a trusted boot used by real commercial fisherman to a fashion accessory sported by a huge number of d-bags. 

When I was a fisherman in ak extratuf was all we used. Found my last pair in my moms basement. 30 years old. Used them the other day while pressure washing her house. Still perfect condition

Sorry to hear this.

The only Xtra-Tuff product I own is a pair of deck boots which I bought at least 5 years ago.

I had been thinking that I’d like to get myself another pair to have in reserve but now I’m not so sure.

Deck boot recommendations, anyone ?

Posted (edited)

Another boot ruined by globalism similiar to my sorel winter boots. Once a trusted canadian brand. Now a chinese joke

Edited by Goldy

19 hours ago, Dave Peros said:

Bought a new pair of deck boots a couple of months ago and the fit was incredibly sloppy in the same size I always buy. The material also seems a lot more flimsy. 

A couple of the guys at the boatyard I help out at said that XTRATUF boots are now being made in China, where before they were strictly U.S.

Wonder if anyone who has been using XTRATUF for any length of time and recently bought a new pair has anything to say about the ones being sold today vs. "the old days."

All I know is I am disappointed with what I have now.

They started being made in China in 2011.  I think the product remains good, they are selling those short boots like crazy.  Good product. Lotta value for $100.

On our oyster farm, the guys are split between Xtra tuffs and Bekina boots. I like the Bekina agrilites. 

Bekina rubber is stronger and boot is more comfortable to wear all day 12-16hrs

Winter it's either those with 2 pairs wool socks or muck boot arctic if I'm just standing on the boat all day 

12 hours ago, valentine said:

Sorry to hear this.

The only Xtra-Tuff product I own is a pair of deck boots which I bought at least 5 years ago.

I had been thinking that I’d like to get myself another pair to have in reserve but now I’m not so sure.

Deck boot recommendations, anyone ?

Grunden's very similar. And more comfortable for longer hours.

I have a pair of the brown legacy boots that have been awesome for 5+ years. I bought a pair of the shorties 2 years ago and within 6 months they tore in the crease that forms where your toes flex. Very disappointed and Xtratuf's response was the shorties aren't "commercial grade" and I should buy the more expensive wheelhouse boots. No thanks! I still use them for mowing the grass, but a total waste otherwise. 

22 hours ago, Cpalms said:

They started being made in China in 2011.  I think the product remains good, they are selling those short boots like crazy.  Good product. Lotta value for $100.

After reading your response, I did some research and discovered, as you said, that XTRATUF was bought out in 2007 (or was it 2008?) and manufacturing was moved to China in 2011. Since, folks in the commercial fishing business, who once made up the vast majority of XTRATUF customers, before it became cool to wear them, have been complaining about quality issues, especially durability and fit. I did find out they make a heavy duty line, called Wheelhouse, as mentioned above, but nobody carries them around here so I can try them on to see about fit. Grunden's seems like a good option, but I know the XTRATUF's I have now are a floppy, sloppy mess and they are killing my feet. I didn't keep the box so I can make sure I ordered the right size and the numbers are worn out on the inside in just a couple of months, while in those I have from over a decade ago, the SIZE 11 is nice and clear. 

1 hour ago, Dave Peros said:

After reading your response, I did some research and discovered, as you said, that XTRATUF was bought out in 2007 (or was it 2008?) and manufacturing was moved to China in 2011. Since, folks in the commercial fishing business, who once made up the vast majority of XTRATUF customers, before it became cool to wear them, have been complaining about quality issues, especially durability and fit. I did find out they make a heavy duty line, called Wheelhouse, as mentioned above, but nobody carries them around here so I can try them on to see about fit. Grunden's seems like a good option, but I know the XTRATUF's I have now are a floppy, sloppy mess and they are killing my feet. I didn't keep the box so I can make sure I ordered the right size and the numbers are worn out on the inside in just a couple of months, while in those I have from over a decade ago, the SIZE 11 is nice and clear. 

Grundens are also made in China I believe; their very descriptive website just happens to be silent on the issue of location of manufacture. I don't think they are made in Sweden LOL.

My Xtratufs get infinitely more comfortable when I put a pair of insoles in them. Green Superfeet is what I use.  Love them.