punkroktownie

bucktail help

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's one of the few lures I haven't caught fish on. I even read a Skinner book! do I need to actually attach it to my line? No. Seriously. I've tried. Gags, pencils, and hard plastics have treated me so well this year, but I sure want to scratch bucktails off my bucket list. Thoughts?

p.s. I have various weights, colors and trailers. haven't found a winner and I know people swear by them for a reason.

Edited by punkroktownie

Do u have to? No. 

I find them enjoyable and productive. 

As far as technique, the hardest part (IMO) is finding the weight. Too light and it isn't reaching bottom, too heavy and your draggin bottom (IMO is better than lighter).  Basically what I like is to touch bottom, not be pinned to the bottom, and skirt ALONG the bottom hopping, skipping and jumping like a happy kid. 

Usually slower is better. But sometimes it aint.   Won't know till ya go. 

Colors. Can't go wrong with white & chartreuse.  

I don't bucktail that much anymore. My shoulders are busted up. And all the extra movements take it's toll.  Now I mainly fish tins, but employ the same strategies as a bucktail. But the tin does the dancin for me. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

I actually just watched a helpful video on YouTube about using bucktails - search YT for 'Goose Hummock bucktail' and it should pop right up.  Pretty informative, there are two videos.  

I've found they work good in current and or good surf.  What others have said is right on.  It took me a while to get it dialed in as well.  Keep at it , you'll get it.  Also I like the olive/white spro's.

Bucktails are awesome!!! Find a spot with good current. Match the weight to the current. You want it to get down to the bottom relatively fast but the bts gotta be light enough or have enough hair to stay off bottom during the retrieve. Dnt stay with a steady retrieve. Every 3 or 4 cranks give it a little jiggle. The bt will kinda suspend for a second. Drives the fish crazy!!! Stick with it and I'm sure you'll figure out. You'll be happy once you do

On 6/20/2021 at 6:13 PM, punkroktownie said:

It's one of the few lures I haven't caught fish on. I even read a Skinner book! do I need to actually attach it to my line? No. Seriously. I've tried. Gags, pencils, and hard plastics have treated me so well this year, but I sure want to scratch bucktails off my bucket list. Thoughts?

p.s. I have various weights, colors and trailers. haven't found a winner and I know people swear by them for a reason.

Gag's what? Whip it fish? Fish it the same as a soft plastic on a jighead just match size and shape etc. 

I'm in the same boat as the OP.  I know people have great success and swear by them.  I have a multiple sizes and colors and have tried them a bunch with zero success.  I am definitely doing it wrong-  I'll check out that you tube video.  Feel like I'm missing out- and it might be the key when the fish are stacked up on the bottom. 

6 hours ago, MB19565 said:

I'm in the same boat as the OP.  I know people have great success and swear by them.  I have a multiple sizes and colors and have tried them a bunch with zero success.  I am definitely doing it wrong-  I'll check out that you tube video.  Feel like I'm missing out- and it might be the key when the fish are stacked up on the bottom. 

They can be hard to gain confidence in at first. As many have said, they excel in current and heavy surf. If it’s calm or less turbulent, swimming plugs and shads may be better. Start with plain white with a jig strip or cow tail, also white. In slow moving water throw between 3/4 and 1-1/2oz, depending on current. If it’s a spot that rips, you can use 2 to 4 depending on location. Sometimes a steady retrieve just off bottom, or bounce n’ drag, depending on bottom composition. I like to bump and bounce a bit. Once you get it, you’ll get it. It also opens up doors to other weighted jigs like Hurley, RonZ and Gags. They all fish similar, but I find the eel imitations work better through the season. 

1-Current 2-right weight 3-swim or bounce 4-hook up

Edited by Pearl Bomber

It’s worth mentioning that the bucktail is a very useful tool for feeling/ mapping the bottom (in your mind). This opens up a lot of understanding of places you fish. I prefer moving water, whether an inlet or structure of some kind that interrupts the flow of water (rip). Bass will nose up or school around these places, often toward the bottom, especially the bigger fish in the school. The bucktail gets into that environment and tells the angler what’s down there, this is why I prefer the bump and bounce retrieve. Don’t cry if you lose a jig or 20. Don’t steady drag bottom though, that’s asking to get hung up…

Edited by Pearl Bomber
Added content

7 hours ago, punkroktownie said:

Update. 3 fish caught on a bucktail!

That was quick. After a lot of attempts over the years.

BooYah!!!

On 20/06/2021 at 6:13 PM, punkroktownie said:

Weight is key! Can’t sink like a rock and at the same time can’t drift for 30 seconds without touching bottom. Cast it into current and let it sink. Once ya feel it hit bottom, jig it hard and let it sink again. 

Thats one way to use it and they’re are many more. 

Not tryin to bust your balls but a book/video will only teach you so much. You gotta go out there and use it ALL the time. Mess around with the weights until it feels perfect. You’ll get used to it and you use it. And once ya nail a nice fish on it, your confidence will be up and you will finally have figured it out!
…Until ya don’t anymore lol and then ya gotta figure out the next retrieve in the next spot

Edited by CLFish5

1/2 ounce bucktail + trailer seems to be a nice sweet spot for a lot Of water in Maine unless you get into that heavy whitewater/crazy moon tides 

I'm the sheetiest non fluke bucktailer in history, but I'll offer 2 solid bits of advice that may help you get better

#1 Every few outings empty your surf bag and ONLY take bucktails ( various sizes obvi )... let it humble the crap out of you while the world around you catches fish on the bla bla bla lures and you are standing there like a lahoo saher  not catching. Now you have no choice but to play with it for hours... do boring retrieves, wild retrieves and everything in-between until something fishy happens.

#2 Use a lighter bucktail  (new bucktailers likely fish too heavy because they crave that feedback from the lure like bouncing the bottom etc. )