blazingLion

Need rod recommendation

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Not new to surf fishing but I have a 9’ surf spinning rod for throwing plugs. Looking for a 12’+ casting rod for chunking out further that can handle a solid 4-10oz weight plus bait. Would like to pair it with an Avet HX raptor 80-100lb braid, and would like to stay under $300. Target species is really any bigger fish (rays/sharks). Any recommendations? Thanks. 

Throwing heavier bait n weight is considerably easier with a conventional. I picked up an 11’ lami surf king for a ridiculous price. Paired w a 7000 abu garcia spooled w 65 lb braid. I don’t know how I fished chunks/heads before I had this setup. I upgraded from a 10’ tica. The difference between the two is amazing 

I use a 12'  Penn Btl conventional rod, I think up to 10 or 12 oz. I use a Penn 990 Magg on her and she cast 8 and baith great. I've caught some really big fish with this combo.

Conventional is the only way to go when chunking, makes things so much easier. Abu 7000/7001 is a great choice. I use my 7001's for medium weight and bait. My heavy duty beach setup is a Penn 113H and an Ocean Master 12' rated up to 16oz. You don't have to over think a chunking rod, as long as it can handle the weight, it's not like shopping for a plugging rod where you have to match It perfectly with reel, lure and line.

8 hours ago, Gully said:

Throwing heavier bait n weight is considerably easier with a conventional. I picked up an 11’ lami surf king for a ridiculous price. Paired w a 7000 abu garcia spooled w 65 lb braid. I don’t know how I fished chunks/heads before I had this setup. I upgraded from a 10’ tica. The difference between the two is amazing 

Thanks, this would be my first conventional setup. Is the Lamiglas an older model? It's hard to find any info on it.

6 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I use a 12'  Penn Btl conventional rod, I think up to 10 or 12 oz. I use a Penn 990 Magg on her and she cast 8 and baith great. I've caught some really big fish with this combo.

Second one recommending this rod, unfortunatley I haven't been able to find it for sale, Thanks.

1 hour ago, Fishit 2 said:

Conventional is the only way to go when chunking, makes things so much easier. Abu 7000/7001 is a great choice. I use my 7001's for medium weight and bait. My heavy duty beach setup is a Penn 113H and an Ocean Master 12' rated up to 16oz. You don't have to over think a chunking rod, as long as it can handle the weight, it's not like shopping for a plugging rod where you have to match It perfectly with reel, lure and line.

Thanks, I can only seem to find the 10' model though.

Check out Ugly Stix, Shakespeare or any budget rod that has a good rating. Tsunami makes an 11' rod rated 4-10oz, you don't always need a rod that can handle 16oz, I wouldn't bother fishing that day if 8oz isn't holding. Try Bass Pro/Cabelas or Dicks.

5 hours ago, Fishit 2 said:

Check out Ugly Stix, Shakespeare or any budget rod that has a good rating. Tsunami makes an 11' rod rated 4-10oz, you don't always need a rod that can handle 16oz, I wouldn't bother fishing that day if 8oz isn't holding. Try Bass Pro/Cabelas or Dicks.

Dick's inventory is real slim and the closest bass pro is 2 hours away. I've been checking craigslist and ebay frequently, with hope to come across some used rod's that need a new home.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I use a 12'  Penn Btl conventional rod, I think up to 10 or 12 oz. 

+1

If you want to bump it up a notch, the biggest beast on the block is the St. Croix Mojo Surf 12'0" Heavy 2 Piece Casting Rod  MSC120HMF2 - rated 6 to 16 oz ! And it doesn't feel like a telephone pole during the cast.

Edited by Sudsy

9 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Shimano speed master

Actual first rod I found in stock, at tackledirect. Has some good specs but I'm curious about the power rating of MH. Is it necessary to have full heavy power? My 9 footer is MH, but I would think a longer rod should have more power.

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

+1

If you want to bump it up a notch, the biggest beast on the block is the St. Croix Mojo Surf 12'0" Heavy 2 Piece Casting Rod  MSC120HMF2 - rated 6 to 16 oz ! And it doesn't feel like a telephone pole during the cast.

Wow, that is a nice rod. Right at my limit too. If only I could find it in stock.

25 mins ago, blazingLion said:

Actual first rod I found in stock, at tackledirect. Has some good specs but I'm curious about the power rating of MH. Is it necessary to have full heavy power? My 9 footer is MH, but I would think a longer rod should have more power.

For bait fishing I'd go with the 12' Heavy. I use the 12' MH for jigging heavy jigs in fast current and throwing big live baits. It could most definitely handle 4oz plus bait, but anything more and it's not going to be optimal. 

42 mins ago, IsmailG said:

For bait fishing I'd go with the 12' Heavy. I use the 12' MH for jigging heavy jigs in fast current and throwing big live baits. It could most definitely handle 4oz plus bait, but anything more and it's not going to be optimal. 

Just as I suspected, Thank you.