codfish

Blue fin tuna from 20-400 Lbs have arrived

Rate this topic

206 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, GP100 said:

Excuse the stupid question ( or flame on, I really don't care) but do you need a special permit for tuna? I never chased them but if I find myself in a blitz It sounds like a blast. 

Yes you need a permit.  I have a rec permit which allows me to keep 1 fish under 73"/day.

 

You buy them from NOAA, $26 and they are specific to boat not the angler.

 

The status changes if certain slots are open depending on total catches. 

 

I'm a tuna rookie so I'll stay in my lane with other specifics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Heading out Monday from Newport to Block assuming weather holds if anyone wants to buddy boat and scout.

 

Will be on 40' Intrepid

Edited by Sailah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays fish report, splashed the boat this AM, found fish feeding on sand eels early, we did hook up twice but not for long, 1 hr later we were tight after a good fight the fish was brought along side the boat but my friends brother say "I will land him" well that went poorly with the fish breaking the florocarbon, a few more shots but no love:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, codfish said:

Todays fish report, splashed the boat this AM, found fish feeding on sand eels early, we did hook up twice but not for long, 1 hr later we were tight after a good fight the fish was brought along side the boat but my friends brother say "I will land him" well that went poorly with the fish breaking the florocarbon, a few more shots but no love:)

musta been a tad uncomfortable ride home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2021 at 5:32 PM, Sailah said:

Yes you need a permit.  I have a rec permit which allows me to keep 1 fish under 73"/day.

 

You buy them from NOAA, $26 and they are specific to boat not the angler.

 

The status changes if certain slots are open depending on total catches. 

 

I'm a tuna rookie so I'll stay in my lane with other specifics.

If u have that permit, r u allowed to sell that fish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yosco said:

If u have that permit, r u allowed to sell that fish?

Please don't try and fish giants a lot can go wrong:eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, yosco said:

OK???? I guess???:eek:

Yosco you can fish for blue fins but I would go to a shop that sells tuna gear and explain that you are new to tuna fishing and you want to be safe Starting out.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, codfish said:

Yosco you can fish for blue fins but I would go to a shop that sells tuna gear and explain that you are new to tuna fishing and you want to be safe Starting out.:)

Without the proper stand up gear and safety precautions, it can be deadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2021 at 8:18 AM, Sailah said:

Heading out Monday from Newport to Block assuming weather holds if anyone wants to buddy boat and scout.

 

Will be on 40' Intrepid

How did you make out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good rod, 60lb line, being ready when found and a little luck;

 

Stand-up gear was not needed and landed in 25 min. after 3 times around the boat. The guy that gaffed that fish had never done anything like that before, was terrified that he would "miss" it, and he did a great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There might not be a market for tuna. Last year I think they were only taking harpoon fish if I’m not mistaken. The captain I use said he won’t ever kill a fish for the prices they were offering he releases them now. Like I said, I could be wrong…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went out last week with a friend and experienced offshore fisherman. We caught 4 tuna that were feeding on sand eels. It was a nice time. 
 

We stopped and caught some blue fish on the way back for shark bait later in the season. A few of the blues we saw were very large. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, codfish said:

How did you make out?

Heading out of Newport for the claw tomorrow at 0400.  Any hot tips?  First time for us on buddies boat.  Have trolling spread, popping and jigging outfits ready.  Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.