codfish

Blue fin tuna from 20-400 Lbs have arrived

Rate this topic

254 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, NPV said:

^^^ That’s why you gotta brain spike them before you bleed them.

CFEE905B-5B1E-450A-BDC3-4ED551A0FEDD.jpeg.4e58b44edc1753f8b895fae67e75a269.jpeg

New to tuna here.   Im assuming brain spiking a fish kills it.   When you bleed a fish, doesn't it require the heart to pump the blood out of their system?  If so, wouldn't you want them alive during the bleed out?  Thanks

On 7/30/2021 at 0:31 AM, Reel1in said:

I have the fever, the rod, the reel the sand eel jig and the top water.  But my head just sucks.  I last 30-45 mins before I start booting.  Anyone have a secret to combat sea sickness?  

I have a friend who loves his offshore fishing but gets deathly seasick. Hates Dramamine but has found that Scololamine patches work well. He puts it on the night before and apparently hes good to go. he says it makes him a little loopy but nothing crazy and way better than throwing up and feeling like you're going to fall over for a 12 hour trip.

36 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

New to tuna here.   Im assuming brain spiking a fish kills it.   When you bleed a fish, doesn't it require the heart to pump the blood out of their system?  If so, wouldn't you want them alive during the bleed out?  Thanks

Yes it does kill the fish, but the heart will keep pumping long after the fish is dead. In fact most times when I gill and gut them the heart is still going.

26 mins ago, NPV said:

Yes it does kill the fish, but the heart will keep pumping long after the fish is dead. In fact most times when I gill and gut them the heart is still going.

So how does it keep them from bleeding all over the deck? 

On 7/30/2021 at 6:38 AM, codfish said:

2 weeks back  13 ft boat

That has to be the best small boat tuna video I have ever seen. How far out of a run was that . So cool but that is not for me , I am a bit to old for that and need a more comfortable ride. Back around 25 - 30 years  ago I ran my 18 ft. mirror craft with a 70 horse Yammie to the grounds and never gave it a second thought. 

8 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

So how does it keep them from bleeding all over the deck? 

Once they’re brain dead they dont go nuts like they do when they’re suffocating on the deck, which sprays blood everywhere. They’re still gonna bleed on the deck but it’s gonna stay in one area as opposed to having a fish flopping around in a blood pool.

Edited by NPV

14 mins ago, NPV said:

Once they’re brain dead they dont go nuts like they do when they’re suffocating on the deck, which sprays blood everywhere. They’re still gonna bleed on the deck but it’s gonna stay in one area as opposed to having a fish flopping around in a blood pool.

Makes sense, thanks for explanation

50 mins ago, NPV said:

Most of my buddies bleed them on a tailrope cleated off.  Nothing worse than a fish exploding on the deck in a pile of its own blood.  "How the hell did blood get on the top of the t-top?!"  

On 7/30/2021 at 2:17 PM, nicknotsebastian said:

yea.

the pacific bluefin is either coming back strong or they’re loving SoCal the last couple years.  Have a good buddy out there that’s out 2-3 days a week.  Says he’s pretty much guaranteed at least one “foamer” every run.

even surface feeds around here don’t get as nuts as those pacific bluefin swarming on tight bait balls in deep water.

Honestly looks like those fish are there to stay. Think they've had steady showings last 7-10 years with maybe 5 or so of them having the giants. Would be mental if they did this on the east coast. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, bbfish said:

Most of my buddies bleed them on a tailrope cleated off.  Nothing worse than a fish exploding on the deck in a pile of its own blood.  "How the hell did blood get on the top of the t-top?!"  

Funny enough I just cleaned off some blood from the underside of my T-Top last night. Collinite cleaner wax works pretty well for that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Do you have any tricks to avoid giants, we started using 3oz 3xxx jig heads they are good on fish up to 200lbs then they will release:)

DSCF0835.jpg

Edited by codfish