Blue fin tuna from 20-400 Lbs have arrived

Rate this topic

codfish

43 mins ago, Lou T said:

Who the hell are you to criticize someone success and enjoyment in the way they catch fish.

So you caught a fish with a popper, someone might actually appreciate that, if you weren't such a pompous ass.

I've been called worse.

5 hours ago, bbfish said:

I'll just plainly say it, I consider trolling a lesser form of fishing, as in deserving of less respect.  Just as I consider boat fishing a lesser form than surf fishing.  I still fish from a boat.  If you want to be offended by that its your choice. .......

Well, I'll speak for just myself on this issue, although I'm sure others would echo the sentiment.  I don't give a **** what you think of how I fish, and your attitude reeks of smug douchebaggery.

Enjoy your perch of greatness.  Or don't.  I don't care either way.

the neverending battle of elististismist, I catch bft and yft from shore with a flyrod, freshwater weight

gonna get me a giant hand lining next, actually, that is the traditional way to catch giants in the sea of Japan, all them nips are telling ya'll to suck it

Edited by ferret

13 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Well, I'll speak for just myself on this issue, although I'm sure others would echo the sentiment.  I don't give a **** what you think of how I fish, and your attitude reeks of smug douchebaggery.

Enjoy your perch of greatness.  Or don't.  I don't care either way.

JoeyZac you really get offended way too easily

16 hours ago, canalsharpie said:

how do you consider boat fishing a lesser form than surf fishing. Majority of surf fisherman are bait and wait, hardly challenging. Not to mention class of fish is completely different. Offshore fishing is way more challenging than surf fishing. Trolling is a lot more difficult than you think, it's not just trolling 2 9ers for blues/stripers or trolling a couple widetrackers for 30-40lb bluefin. Have you fished the canyons? We troll 12 lines, if one line not running right you never get a bite. If a ballyhoo isn't rigged right, you won't get a bite. If you don't put them out in the correct order, you will have a giant mess. What happens if a fish hits your deep flat line and keeps running, do you know how easy that is to have three lines wrapping and having to maneuver rods while fighting a 200lb big eye? Do you know how to read the chlorophyll, SST and salinity to determine where to fish for marlin, swordfish, and etc. It's a lot of fuel to burn running 100miles to find out you're 20 miles off where you should be.

Thanks for sharing:) I am a complete novice when it comes to trolling that said what is your take on daisy chains? is it worth rigging up a few, any advise you can share is much appreciated:)

22 mins ago, codfish said:

Thanks for sharing:) I am a complete novice when it comes to trolling that said what is your take on daisy chains? is it worth rigging up a few, any advise you can share is much appreciated:)

Also interested in this.  We ran off Chatham this past week in deep fog, could barely see the bow.  Had 4 bars out, 2 Hogy squid bars on riggers and 2 Hogy bird bars that were made up with sand eels on the gunwales.  The squid bars worked great, although no fish, but the bird bars were a tangled mess when we reeled them in.  I believe we were trolling around the 7kt range.

I also ran a Nomad DTX plug off a Van Staal jigging/spin rod down the middle.  Figured it wouldn't hurt to have a deep diver in the mix.

On our first tuna trip to Coxes we hooked up on the jigging rod but it had a Hogy harness jig and it was WAY more fun than the 50W we took fish on later.

One thing I learned from that trip was, being rookies, simplicity in the rig, esp with kids, was key to clearing lines when we hooked up.

Any general thoughts about simple spreads would be appreciated, thx.

4 hours ago, Sailah said:

Also interested in this.  We ran off Chatham this past week in deep fog, could barely see the bow.  Had 4 bars out, 2 Hogy squid bars on riggers and 2 Hogy bird bars that were made up with sand eels on the gunwales.  The squid bars worked great, although no fish, but the bird bars were a tangled mess when we reeled them in.  I believe we were trolling around the 7kt range.

I also ran a Nomad DTX plug off a Van Staal jigging/spin rod down the middle.  Figured it wouldn't hurt to have a deep diver in the mix.

On our first tuna trip to Coxes we hooked up on the jigging rod but it had a Hogy harness jig and it was WAY more fun than the 50W we took fish on later.

One thing I learned from that trip was, being rookies, simplicity in the rig, esp with kids, was key to clearing lines when we hooked up.

Any general thoughts about simple spreads would be appreciated, thx.

:th:

5 hours ago, codfish said:

I'm slightly above a novice myself, my learning was all trial and error and fishing with friends who have it dialed in. My first question to answer your question would be. How many rods are you running and outriggers or no outriggers? Daisy chains are worthwhile, I run them a lot with a joe shute/ballyhoo stinger. There are some awesome Joe shute chains made by sterling that I will also run, if fish are running deep.

My inshore trolling spread is pretty standard for most people generally 7 rods with outrigger. I generally like to troll a lot of meat. Though this year in the block areas, I changed out both of the short outriggers from meat to Black bart Mahi lures, since fish have been on small bait.

port long outrigger 18" wide tracker

Port short outrigger Skirted Ballyhoo/joe shute

Port flat line 36" chaos bar tracker

WWB Bird Chain or Joe Shute chain

Starboard Flat line 36" chaos bar tracker

Starboard short outrigger skirted ballyhoo/joe shute

Starboard long outrigger 18" wide tracker

Edited by canalsharpie

^I like that spread

Here’s another simple inshore spread. 

Port Gunwale: 18-19” Wide/Side Tracker

Port Long Rigger: Chute and hoo or a chain trailing the tracker bar

Port Flatline: 36” Chaos bar or Choas Tracker bar (if you have outboards)

WWB: Chute and hoo or bird chain

Starboard: mirror the port side

The tracker bars will get outside of your long riggers and you don’t have to tighten down your clips to make sure they don’t pop out. Some guys also double rig their long rigger to run a tracker and chute or chain. I try and avoid putting trackers on the riggers but that’s just me; there are many ways to catch fish use what works for you and your boat.

The hottest bait in my spread has been a 36” Choas bar close to the boat, but I’m also in a diesel inboard boat so I have clean water right off the stern. I’m also trolling much slower than most guys 4.5-5 knots.

The key to deep divers is they get under the prop wash into clean water, next time try running it off the transom 30’. Running a deep diver down the middle can potentially cause mayhem in a turn or with a fish on as the line is going to be lower to the water than your other lines.

Edited by NPV

1 hour ago, NPV said:

^I like that spread

Here’s another simple inshore spread. 

Port Gunwale: 18-19” Wide/Side Tracker

Port Long Rigger: Chute and hoo or a chain trailing the tracker bar

Port Flatline: 36” Chaos bar or Choas Tracker bar (if you have outboards)

WWB: Chute and hoo or bird chain

Starboard: mirror the port side

The tracker bars will get outside of your long riggers and you don’t have to tighten down your clips to make sure they don’t pop out. Some guys also double rig their long rigger to run a tracker and chute or chain. I try and avoid putting trackers on the riggers but that’s just me; there are many ways to catch fish use what works for you and your boat.

The hottest bait in my spread has been a 36” Choas bar close to the boat, but I’m also in a diesel inboard boat so I have clean water right off the stern. I’m also trolling much slower than most guys 4.5-5 knots.

The key to deep divers is they get under the prop wash into clean water, next time try running it off the transom 30’. Running a deep diver down the middle can potentially cause mayhem in a turn or with a fish on as the line is going to be lower to the water than your other lines.

agreed with the above. I mainly stick to trackers over regular bars only because when I run 9 to 12 lines, having the extra space the trackers give is very useful. Also if you use a tracker on a outrigger, I would only use the 18/19". You need to really crank down to pull a 36" from an outrigger. Also 100% agree chaos bar has been money this year. 

My 9 rod is very similar to the 7 except I will run the chaos trackers from the gunwale and I usually run deep divers, nomad, heavy joe shutes or sometimes a bird chain from the transom rod holder as flat line. From there it's all about correct distance to make sure the chaos tracker is wide enough of the diver but close enough so its well under the short outrigger lines.  Having an inboard boat so no engines to worry about makes it a lot easier. 12 rod spread involves doubling up the long rigger and doubling up the center rigger.

Edited by canalsharpie

12 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

agreed with the above. I mainly stick to trackers over regular bars only because when I run 9 to 12 lines, having the extra space the trackers give is very useful. Also if you use a tracker on a outrigger, I would only use the 18/19". You need to really crank down to pull a 36" from an outrigger. Also 100% agree chaos bar has been money this year. 

My 9 rod is very similar to the 7 except I will run the chaos trackers from the gunwale and I usually run deep divers, nomad, heavy joe shutes or sometimes a bird chain from the transom rod holder as flat line. From there it's all about correct distance to make sure the chaos tracker is wide enough of the diver but close enough so its well under the short outrigger lines.  Having an inboard boat so no engines to worry about makes it a lot easier. 12 rod spread involves doubling up the long rigger and doubling up the center rigger.

Do you go by rifisher on another forum?

On 7/12/2021 at 0:20 PM, bbfish said:

That's exactly where I was, I'd guarantee well over 200 boats.  Had to change the channel on the radio off from all the trollers screaming at each other.  Remind me to never go tuna fishing on a weekend near a spot thats been good all week. 

That many engines running in such a small area surely wont destroy a bite (sarcasm).

Trollers are second class citizens in the fishing world in my book.  Obviously just my opinion, but its the only form of fishing I can think of that screws it up for everyone else.  Take up too much space, a large space that is constantly moving, and is generally the form of fishing that is utilized by those with less experience.  Dont get me wrong there are guys who are great at trolling and know all the intricacies involved, but it seems like 9/10 guys trolling are clueless.

where did you sail from ? and what craft if you dont mind.  I am docked in the Highlands with a 25 ft 300HP walk around. I feel it is to long a run for these old bones. Years ago I used to go out of Manasquan ,straight out in my friends 19 ft. Renken ,later in my 18 ft. Alum. Mirror craft 70 hp.  .A 6ft. 8 inch Mako one time. 

2 mins ago, Hammerheadman said:

where did you sail from ? and what craft if you dont mind.  I am docked in the Highlands with a 25 ft 300HP walk around. I feel it is to long a run for these old bones. Years ago I used to go out of Manasquan ,straight out in my friends 19 ft. Renken ,later in my 18 ft. Alum. Mirror craft 70 hp.  .A 6ft. 8 inch Mako one time. 

We run from highlands as well, honestly its not too bad this year, closer than running to the triple wreck area.  The guys out of manasquan/shark river/barnegat are very lucky with how far they have to run.