Blue fin tuna from 20-400 Lbs have arrived

Rate this topic

codfish

4 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

All this talk from some of you about how special you are and how good you are at finding fish and then catching them in the only manner that you deem worthy, and then you complain about the madness of the fleet at the AP.

There's fish stretched from 15 miles out of BI out to the Chicken, with several concentrations along the way, and some of you seasoned elitist geniuses with salt in your veins and decades of experience choose to fish in a fleet of 200 boats.

Please, enlighten us some more.

Found the troller

17 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

All this talk from some of you about how special you are and how good you are at finding fish and then catching them in the only manner that you deem worthy, and then you complain about the madness of the fleet at the AP.

There's fish stretched from 15 miles out of BI out to the Chicken, with several concentrations along the way, and some of you seasoned elitist geniuses with salt in your veins and decades of experience choose to fish in a fleet of 200 boats.

Please, enlighten us some more.

Just think; you have been trolling around the ocean fishing all these years, having the time of your life. Just to find out the other day you have been doing it all wrong... :laugh:

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Just think; you have been trolling around the ocean fishing all these years, having the time of your life. Just to find out the other day you have been doing it all wrong... :laugh:

One man's trash is another mans treasure.

1 hour ago, Lou T said:

Yep.  

I can tell you what I'm not doing.......... And that's putting down the way everyone else fishes, calling their way of fishing "trash," spouting my mouth off about how great I am, and then crying that despite my decades of enlightenment, somehow I'm in the middle of 200 boats not fishing right while the radio sucks.

I'll just plainly say it, I consider trolling a lesser form of fishing, as in deserving of less respect.  Just as I consider boat fishing a lesser form than surf fishing.  I still fish from a boat.  If you want to be offended by that its your choice. 

And I certainly never said we kept the radio on the annoying channel, nor stayed in the same area.  

Edited by bbfish

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

I'll just plainly say it, I consider trolling a lesser form of fishing, as in deserving of less respect.  Just as I consider boat fishing a lesser form than surf fishing.  I still fish from a boat.  If you want to be offended by that its your choice. 

And I certainly never said we kept the radio on the annoying channel, nor stayed in the same area.  

how do you consider boat fishing a lesser form than surf fishing. Majority of surf fisherman are bait and wait, hardly challenging. Not to mention class of fish is completely different. Offshore fishing is way more challenging than surf fishing. Trolling is a lot more difficult than you think, it's not just trolling 2 9ers for blues/stripers or trolling a couple widetrackers for 30-40lb bluefin. Have you fished the canyons? We troll 12 lines, if one line not running right you never get a bite. If a ballyhoo isn't rigged right, you won't get a bite. If you don't put them out in the correct order, you will have a giant mess. What happens if a fish hits your deep flat line and keeps running, do you know how easy that is to have three lines wrapping and having to maneuver rods while fighting a 200lb big eye? Do you know how to read the chlorophyll, SST and salinity to determine where to fish for marlin, swordfish, and etc. It's a lot of fuel to burn running 100miles to find out you're 20 miles off where you should be.

Edited by canalsharpie

5 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

how do you consider boat fishing a lesser form than surf fishing. Majority of surf fisherman are bait and wait, hardly challenging. Not to mention class of fish is completely different. Offshore fishing is way more challenging than surf fishing. Trolling is a lot more difficult than you think, it's not just trolling 2 9ers for blues/stripers. Have you fished the canyons? We troll 12 lines, if one line not running right you never get a bite. If a ballyhoo isn't rigged right, you won't get a bite. If you don't put them out in the correct order, you will have a giant mess. What happens if a fish hits your deep flat line and keeps running, do you know how easy that is to have three lines wrapping and having to maneuver rods while fighting a 200lb big eye? 

A 30 lbr from the surf means far more to me than a 30 lbr from the boat. A chunked 30 from the beach means less to me than one plugged or jigged from the beach. A trolled 30 lbr  from a boat means far less to me than one that is plugged from a boat.   A trolled 150lb bluefin means less to me than one caught on spinning gear.  These are just my opinions.  I have a hierarchy of what I consider more worthy of respect.

I should note that I almost exclusively fish from a boat at this point, but if someone were to tell me they got a 30 off the beach the same day I got a 30 off the boat, I'd respect their fish more than my own.

Edited by bbfish

6 mins ago, bbfish said:

A 30 lbr from the surf means far more to me than a 30 lbr from the boat. A chunked 30 from the beach means less to me than one plugged or jigged from the beach. A trolled 30 lbr  from a boat means far less to me than one that is plugged from a boat.   A trolled 150lb bluefin means less to me than one caught on spinning gear.  These are just my opinions.  I have a hierarchy of what I consider more worthy of respect.

There is a wide range of trolling tactics.  Clearly you have never bait and switched a blue marlin or dead bait trolled for marlin.  If "worthy"ness is a thing - those methods of trolling are far more difficult for the angler and crew than jig/popping a tuna.  They and require way more skill, experience and practice than dropping a diamond jig on a bluefish's err umm bluefin's head.  There is life beyond the 30 fathom line.

Just now, Cpalms said:

There is a wide range of trolling tactics.  Clearly you have never bait and switched a blue marlin or dead bait trolled for marlin.  If "worthy"ness is a thing - those methods of trolling are far more difficult for the angler and crew than jig/popping a tuna.  They and require way more skill, experience and practice than dropping a diamond jig on a bluefish's err umm bluefin's head.  There is life beyond the 30 fathom line.

Of course there is, if you read my earlier posts I have said there are plenty of trollers that are advanced in their skill set.  The vast majority are not.

20 mins ago, bbfish said:

I should note that I almost exclusively fish from a boat at this point, but if someone were to tell me they got a 30 off the beach the same day I got a 30 off the boat, I'd respect their fish more than my own.

I'll agree everyone has their own opinion, I just don't find spin gear to be more difficult on a bluefin in the same class on each set up. Majority of the time the boat is in neutral and dead stop, you're fishing 25lbs of drag so even a 100lb bluefin has about 1 good 100 yard run and maybe 2 smaller runs at that drag and he's done. You have a higher line retrieval per crank, generally fishing a lot heavier line as well. We don't take the boat out of gear unless all lines are in or its a real fish on the other end. So you're fighting the fish and the boat moving 5-6knots. We use a lot lighter line on our 50 wides and a max of 18lbs of drag, also holding a much heavier set up. The only advantages to the 50w's are you have a 2 speed reel and using a belt on a real fish, but the belt is due to the weight of the set up and longer fight due to lighter line and drag. I am less tired fighting on spin than I am on a 50wide . I've caught plenty on both, I troll more than I jig. I have whipped keeper makos faster on my spin set up than on my 50 wide.

The boat type matters a lot as well. It's a hell of a lot easier fighting any fish on a center console than it is on a flybridge or express.

Edited by canalsharpie

3 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

I'll agree everyone has their own opinion, I just don't find spin gear to be more difficult on a bluefin in the same class on each set up. Majority of the time the boat is in neutral and dead stop, you're fishing 25lbs of drag so even a 100lb bluefin has about 1 good 100 yard run and maybe 2 smaller runs at that drag and he's done. You have a higher line retrieval per crank, generally fishing a lot heavier line as well. We don't take the boat out of gear unless all lines are in or its a real fish on the other end. So you're fighting the fish and the boat moving 5-6knots. We use a lot lighter line on our 50 wides and a max of 18lbs of drag, also holding a much heavier set up. The only advantages to the 50w's are you have a 2 speed reel and using a belt on a real fish, but the belt is due to the weight of the set up and longer fight due to lighter line and drag. I am less tired fighting on spin than I am on a 50wide . I've caught plenty on both, I troll more than I jig. I have whipped keeper makos faster on my spin set up than on my 50 wide.

The boat type matters a lot as well. It's a hell of a lot easier fighting any fish on a center console than it is on a flybridge or express.

It certainly sounds like you know what you are doing.  My anecdotal experience in fishing is that the vast majority of trollers are the inexperienced type that get in the way of everyone else, themselves, and even the trollers that know what they are doing.  Am I lumping everyone together unfairly? Perhaps.  I do know that running engines are far more likely to kill bites than accelerate them, so im fairly confident my fishing experience would be better off without any of them.  Yes I'm aware of how selfish that sounds.

20 hours ago, bbfish said:

Found the troller

5 hours ago, bbfish said:

One man's trash is another mans treasure.

Who the hell are you to criticize someone success and enjoyment in the way they catch fish.

So you caught a fish with a popper, someone might actually appreciate that, if you weren't such a pompous ass.

Edited by Lou T