fishhawkxxx

Can skinny people cast?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Tomorrow I want to carry my 12' om, I think I like it better than my mojo, as far as over runs oh I gottem! I've always tuned my reel to very few if any slack left after cast so I can set my sputnik immediately instead of letting it flop around in surf. So I actually have 2 different set ups, 1 for field, n 1 for surf?

17 mins ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Tomorrow I want to carry my 12' om, I think I like it better than my mojo, as far as over runs oh I gottem! I've always tuned my reel to very few if any slack left after cast so I can set my sputnik immediately instead of letting it flop around in surf. So I actually have 2 different set ups, 1 for field, n 1 for surf?

Sounds good then

Posted (edited) · Report post

So the question is "Can skinny people cast ?"

About 5 years ago a friend and I stopped by a field prior to going fishing. We made a few casts using our fishing equipment and I was pleasantly surprised when my friend cast 180 yards. At the time he was probably using a 13' 6" rod and was using a stock ABU 6500 with 20 lb line. And at the time he was 5' 6" tall and weighed 125 lbs. And, he was 70 years old.

Yes, skinny people can cast ! 

Edited by Don B

7 mins ago, Don B said:

So the question is "Can skinny people cast ?"

About 5 years ago a friend and I stopped by a field prior to going fishing. We made a few casts using our fishing equipment and I was pleasantly surprised when my friend cast 180 yards. At the time he was probably using a 13' 6" rod and was using a stock ABU 6500 with 20 lb line. And at the time he was 5' 6" tall and weighed 125 lbs. And, he was 70 years old.

Yes, skinny people can cast !

Getting there don!

8 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

The heavy one;  look at my 13'2 loaded up with 12 and a bit ounces..... I'm happy to throw 4oz on it

Za I feel like I'm being swayed onto the dreaded 12' mojo n you know what? It worked!! Starting to love it!

1st cast w/mojo n 6500 -100yds

2nd 115

3rd 120

4th-10th 125 yds

These were all w/6oz

Went to 8oz hit 112 & 115 yds then got rained out.

Whatcha think coach?

I'm tickled to death! I think I was intimidated by this rod.

Thanx

Getting better, stick to the lighter 6oz, I'd even suggest trying 5oz and then sticking to it; much easier on the body.

When we compete on the field here, we dread the 175g class, it is a killer....

Typical comp consists of 6 casts each in 175g 150g 125g and 100g.

150g and 125g are the most enjoyed.

Some lunatics like the 175g session

8 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Getting better, stick to the lighter 6oz, I'd even suggest trying 5oz and then sticking to it; much easier on the body.

When we compete on the field here, we dread the 175g class, it is a killer....

Typical comp consists of 6 casts each in 175g 150g 125g and 100g.

150g and 125g are the most enjoyed.

Some lunatics like the 175g session

Thanx again! I didn't get to field this morning, will go this afternoon hopefully. Will reply this eve.

21 mins ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Thanx again! I didn't get to field this morning, will go this afternoon hopefully. Will reply this eve.

Enjoy.

5oz.

No more.

Hey za, 1st cast 100 yds, 2nd 108, 3rd 112-115, 4th-7th.danced around 120.yds, then I had a mid cast snap off and that ruined that!

I had the snap off because I opened up the mag. You see, I have to throw into the sun and I loose sight of my weight , so I had been letting the reel.run it's course but as sun set behind trees I could see my weight allowing me to feather the spool w/ 0 overruns, so I started decreasing my mags n evidently went too far!

I have to admit I have never had a casting lesson until now., Oh sure been casting over 50 years but I now realize I was only playing!

Thanx!       NEXT!!!!

I am shortsighted and have varying degrees of astigmatism in both eyes.

I cannot see my sinkers.

I watch the spool and listen to the reel and feel with my hands

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

I am shortsighted and have varying degrees of astigmatism in both eyes.

I cannot see my sinkers.

I watch the spool and listen to the reel and feel with my hands

Morning za! After my bird nest I had over 3/4 of my spool left so as don suggested I ran it a little low. Well 1st cast nearly spooled me &On second cast I did get spooled n that was 120 yds.So I will put on another spool ( I have like 6 spooled up spools w/ different diameter line) and go back this afternoon.

Thanx!

A high vis line yellow,green,orange with a fluorescent orange weight may help follow the cast ...I can follow the cast while fishing but lose in the back round of trees at the field 

19 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

A high vis line yellow,green,orange with a fluorescent orange weight may help follow the cast ...I can follow the cast while fishing but lose in the back round of trees at the field 

Yes sir I am now using a chartreuse line and would like some of those rubber coated bright colored ones but don't have anywhere to purchase but online. I have neon orange weight filled golf balls, but they do catch wind. Any suggestions???

I just paint the weights floresence orange and try and follow it ....I’m ordering line from  the internet due to the fact no one has hi vis 14 /16 lb test line locally ...don’t know why but 14 /16 lb is not available near my house