fishhawkxxx

Can skinny people cast?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Are there any small guys that tournament cast? The ones I see that can really cast are big guys. I'm 5'10".165 lbs. And be damed if I can't hit over 120 yds. Do you have to be a heavy weight?

Will Nash is regular-sized & presently holds many of the US long-casting records. But you are correct many of the best are stocky, low center of gravity - on the other hand, Neil Mackellow was just big.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Are there any small guys that tournament cast? The ones I see that can really cast are big guys. I'm 5'10".165 lbs. And be damed if I can't hit over 120 yds. Do you have to be a heavy weight?

You can definitely do better, 5'10 165lbs be damned.

Find someone to help you / go for some lessons and then practice. Long casters practice.

Edited by ZAFisher

Thanks, that's why I'm asking I've been practicing hard for 3 years and still 100-120 yds every time! But yea I realize I need form coaching . Was just hopping it was my small frame, yes Will Nashcrushed that theory. Lol

What reel what length pole ....your only going to get x amount out of a rod,reel combination....there are limits to what they will give you ...centrifugal brakes are one distance ,switching to magnetic is another ....your form is critical ...so many women pro  golfers will out drive most amature men due to form and the correct fitting clubs ....same with casting ...as one member explained you can’t buy distance ....fishing poles are much different than tournament grade rods ....at the very least you have to be able to compress any rod your throwing ....and then there’s that Father Time c h I t ....I used to ...is twenty years ago ....LOL LOL LOL ....mixing and matching reels with rods, centrifugal brakes vs magnetic and increase the weight vs decrease the weight on a measured field,  opened my eyes to what wasn’t happening .... when I do hit my timing properly it’s 25-35 yards longer ....only been casting since April ....there’s a skinny gentlemen hangs out  occasionally in belmar he said he’s throwing over 200 yds with a 12 foot tsunami and a penn 525 ....200 yds is a awesome toss ....but I m sure he’s throwing over 165 yds on a bad day ....that’s only led ...no bait ,swivel etc etc

Thanks for you'l's time, I have 12' hvy mojo, 11' mojo, 10' om, 12' om, tica 10' hvy, couple penn carnage, rest old vintage rods all conventional using 4-10oz of lead on field, no wind, as long as I keep the weight down to 6oz n less I can hit 120 yds max

On 6/20/2021 at 2:28 PM, fishhawkxxx said:

I'm asking I've been practicing hard for 3 years and still 100-120 yds every time!

On 6/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, ZAFisher said:

You can definitely do better, 5'10 165lbs be damned.

Find someone to help you / go for some lessons and then practice.

I agree with ZA, seeing that you are practicing, means you need to make some changes to how you

execute your cast and maybe a change or 2 to your equipment as well. Lessons would be best, but posting a vid of you casting here would allow others to make some suggestions to lead you on your way.

A 12 foot rod will only go so far ....I definitely would concentrate on form.... the next thing to remember are these from a hatteras cast,off the ground cast ,a pendulum cast ...your basic stand and just throw it with three feet of leader hanging from the rod tip similar to what happens at a crowded beach....you mentioned reels ,are you using the centrifugal brakes and the magnets or just the magnets .....if you have any kind of centrifugal brakes on those reels that isn’t a bad throw given the rod and reel for fishing ...if you only use the adj mag you could get a little more out of it assuming the reels do not have a level wind or remains of a level wind ....a speed bullet will help some what if the reel was stripped of a level wind....a 14 foot tournament rod and a tournament casting reel may get you more distance ...but they are heavy as compared to a 12 foot rod ....a grand wave 30, a grand wave 20.a sla 30 a shimano Trinidad 20 all got me between 100 and 120  yds  on a 12 foot salt striker and a little more using a 13 foot ldx breakaway from  a hatteras cast using a adj mag ....and 90-110 using one bead on the centrifugal brakes .....a diawa 7 ht got  me close to 135 when my form and timing were half good ....still working on the abu 6500 and abu 7000 both with added adj mags to them ....it’s fun and it does take practice ....but my form and timing are just ugly LOL LOL LOL ....try different approaches and see what happens and always concentrate on form ....the great tommy farmer said he was in the gym quite often ....some extra power never hurt 

Strong butt muscles probably help.  Magnets are the most proportional braking system.  But, they are never perfectly proportional.  You need more magnet at some parts of the  cast than others.  That's where the over-size control knob comes into play for adjusting the magnets while the cast is in the air.  I've seen this done but am not coordinated enough to do it myself. 

I can’t get my hands on the knob to turn It with every thing else going on ..this is why I go casting when I go fishing ...and sometimes I catch some fish

Thanx to you'll !!! I'm not going to a 13' and am actually more comfortable with 11' so I guess I'm ok n that's great to hear.

I like the pendulum cast it impresses my non distance casting friends! 

Oc1 says I ain't got no ass! Hahahahah, probably true I don't weigh but 165 soaking wet! ,And finding a soft seat is hard to find all cuz I ain't got no ass! Hahahaha 

Question.....do fat girls cast?????? Lol only fooling around guys! 

My squidders are probably over magged but they scream like a mad commanche n rarely birdnest so prolly settle for that . My abu's, akious, are running tournament brakes ( teeny tiny fibre brakes).

So all in all I just mo butt! I believe that! All my high school coaches except track coach (I was fast) told me I needed mo ass, hell my momma told me to I needed mo ass!  Might be more to this than we realize. My mom was raised during depression on a farm n said they did butt exercise ain't lots of greens for a bigger butt. Don't know if this was beauty thing or muscle but interesting.

Thanx guys we have a freak cool front (70 degrees) n a north wind! I believe I'll go play in sand!

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Thanx to you'll !!! I'm not going to a 13' and am actually more comfortable with 11' so I guess I'm ok n that's great to hear.

I like the pendulum cast it impresses my non distance casting friends! 

Oc1 says I ain't got no ass! Hahahahah, probably true I don't weigh but 165 soaking wet! ,And finding a soft seat is hard to find all cuz I ain't got no ass! Hahahaha 

Question.....do fat girls cast?????? Lol only fooling around guys! 

My squidders are probably over magged but they scream like a mad commanche n rarely birdnest so prolly settle for that . My abu's, akious, are running tournament brakes ( teeny tiny fibre brakes).

So all in all I just mo butt! I believe that! All my high school coaches except track coach (I was fast) told me I needed mo ass, hell my momma told me to I needed mo ass!  Might be more to this than we realize. My mom was raised during depression on a farm n said they did butt exercise ain't lots of greens for a bigger butt. Don't know if this was beauty thing or muscle but interesting.

Thanx guys we have a freak cool front (70 degrees) n a north wind! I believe I'll go play in sand!

"My squidders are probably over magged but they scream like a mad commanche n rarely birdnest so prolly settle for that ."

Screaming can be the result of a badly balanced spool. I have a 338 Newel that would scream when casting over 100 yards. Lead had to be added to the arbor to bring the spool into balance.

"My abu's, akious, are running tournament brakes ( teeny tiny fibre brakes)."

For field casting I do not use any centrifugal brakes. It's mag only.

I assume your upgraded ABU's are mag equipped. It would be good if you used 17 to 20# mono. For now 20# mono would be a better choice. Do not put more than 200 yards of line on the spool. Both the shorter length and larger diameter of the line will have a positive effect on natural braking. This should allow you to focus more on casting form.

You have quite a variety of rods and you listed a large range of sinkers. Concentrating on one rod, reel, and sinker size should be beneficial. I have found (in general) that when field casting the sinker size and rod minimum lure size are close to the same. Since lure ratings seem to be random, the match will not be reliable. A 12 foot rod with a 5 or 6 ounce minimum lure rating would be a good place to start your evaluation to find a suitable rod to cast 4 or 5 ounces.  Use a 80# shock leader.

Don

Edited by Don B

17 hours ago, fishhawkxxx said:

I actually prefer the 13' when I am fishing and we are about the same build. The timing of the cast with longer rods is different. Go thinner line and whatever weight is the sweet spot for your rod too.  I'm not a field caster though and there are too many people around me to play with a pendulum or Hatteras cast.