fishing444

Scup bait?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all,

not from the area. Planning to do some fishing, including bottom fishing, in the bays along the bass river. Good for scup and other bottom fish? Best bait? I’m guessing sea worms? Are they worth the price of admission? Or is squid/clams about as good? Thx 

Edited by fishing444

21 mins ago, fishing444 said:

Hi all,

not from the area. Planning to do some fishing, including bottom fishing, in the bays along the bass river. Good for scup and other bottom fish? Best bait? I’m guessing sea worms? Are they worth the price of admission? Or is squid/clams about as good? Thx 

Imho, clams are usually better, but don’t expect to save a lot of money. The price of clams has gone through the roof.

Clams worms & squid. 

But depending how adventurous you are. I've caught them on crabs, snails, limpets, silversides, sand eel chunks etc. 

Once you get board of bait, jig with a small metal lure like deadly dick or epoxy minnow.  If they’re around you’ll get em.  

I was getting them in my yak this morning on #2 dicks or joe bags.  Color didn’t matter.

You’ll usually catch them with squid, but when they’re fussy, sometimes you need clams or worms. All depends on how much you’re willing to spend and how much you want to eke out every advantage. For me, I stick with squid most of the time. 

Oh wow. Thanks. And this was top water for scup with the jigs and lures? Where were You fishing? Likely to work in back areas

of bass river such as grand cove and kelley’s bay?

Edited by fishing444

Jigs are more effective from a boat/kayak when you can drop them vertically on the fish. But they’ll work from shore as well if you can find a hungry school. That’s the key, though—you have to find a feeding congregation of fish. Bait is better for attracting fish to you. 

3 hours ago, fishing444 said:

Oh wow. Thanks. And this was top water for scup with the jigs and lures? Where were You fishing? Likely to work in back areas

of bass river such as grand cove and kelley’s bay?

Sorry I should have read more carefully- I didn’t realize you were shore bound.  

I was in buzzards bay in 15-20’ of water in my kayak.  If you can bounce the jig without catching weeds or bottom. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work from shore.  But bait will definitely be more productive from shore.  I’d stick with pricey worms or squid.

Chum.   Get a basket or minnow trap.  Throw a block in, a pound of lead and nice strong thin line. I use No.36 tarred Bank Line.  Chuck it out there. 

I also do good on small bucktails, shad darts & Small slab jigs 1/8-1/4oz. Tip with some bait or small Gulp.   

Lighter rod setup. 10lb braid. 15lb leader.   

Awesome fun in the dead of Summer.  

Not just Scup either.  Fluke, searobins, small bass & blues. Whatever is around. 

If you want a more vertical presentation, look at slip bobber setups.  I use the foam popper bobbers they sell for snapper bluefish and rig those up as a slip bobber.    Small baited bucktail.  Then slowly work them vertically.  

Same style setup is also great in Freshwater with ice fishing jigs in the early cold spring.  

I fish 100% from shore.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

14 hours ago, jmei said:

Jigs are more effective from a boat/kayak when you can drop them vertically on the fish. But they’ll work from shore as well if you can find a hungry school. That’s the key, though—you have to find a feeding congregation of fish. Bait is better for attracting fish to you. 

Words of wisdom for sure Peace and Prayers

I usually stick with squid, cheap and easy. worms work really well too but get pricey and also a pain to handle (I'm sure I'll get flak for this comment haha).

use a hi-lo rig or a fish-finder rig, have fun. 

I also jig with small stuff for scup, which works really well (small crippled herrings, epoxy jigs, slow pitch jigs). I find that jigging tends to cull out the larger fish. Although on a boat, just this past weekend with my father he was using squid on a hi-lo rig and I was jigging with a single small 20g slow pitch jig, he was definitely out catching me (I would say 2 to 1) BUT he was getting a lot of smalls and tossing back or mediums whereas I was only getting keepers and large sizes, also he got only scup whereas I landed a few black seabass and a couple robins as well. 

I find jigging more fun than bait fishing. Do what you enjoy. try both, after a while of bait fishing it may be worth switching it up to see how it goes.

This is all great info! I’m wondering how this will work in grand cove on the bass river. Not too sure the depths in there. I can fish from shore, and also have access to a kayak and canoe. Thoughts?

google maps/earth and google a nautical chart and you will be able to see the depth as well as figure out spots you want to try.

Kayak is always nice because you can cover a lot of area as well as access to areas you can't go by foot.

you can try jigging from shore if that's your preference, I do it quite a bit. Slow steady retrieve with some vertical pops every now and then and let the jig flutter back to bottom. Usually the hit comes during the slow retrieve or during the fluttering fall.

again, do both, bait and jig, easy enough to swap rigs. 

If I’m reading this right, the depths in grand cove are anywhere from 2-9 feet? Should I assume that’s the deepest it will get? Or is that along the edges?

1124B8A0-8C21-4D5F-B9AB-95A31BEA6A1B.jpeg