Steve_M

Alberto knot

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I hear so many things on so many different knots. Do you guys think the Alberto knot is strong enough for a jigging yellowfin tuna? Some guy say the FG knot and the rest of them have all different knots

Yes, it's a great knot. I use the Albright with leaders #40 and above just because I tie it with more confidence and a lot quicker than I tie an Alberto. The Albright doesn't hold well with thinner leaders so for #30 and anything under, I tie an Alberto.

The Alberto goes through the guides better than an Albright does. I always try to tie short leaders when throwing lures of any kind so the knot doesn't have to go through the guides but when pitching live bait out with long leaders, the Alberto works well, and the Albright does all right in this situation too. 

Last few times I've tied an Alberto, I've snapped the knot when pulling tight.  

Maybe I'm stronger than I think. 14lb braid but I don't think the knot is even fully tightened. 

So until I figure it out I'm back to either double uni or swivel.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I hear so many things on so many different knots. Do you guys think the Alberto knot is strong enough for a jigging yellowfin tuna? Some guy say the FG knot and the rest of them have all different knots

FG or PR knot, they're just better. With the investment you have to make to have the opportunity to jig for YFT, wouldn't you want to make sure something that's fundamental to landing them be as close to a guarantee as possible? Approach your knots with the same mindset as you do the rest of your tackle; strongest hooks, best rod, reel, lures, line and leader material you can afford...only tying a better knot costs you nothing but time.

Edited by RockRonin

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, TheSuperApe said:

The FG knot is not much harder to tie than an Alberto. 

That is why I went with. I never tied one. It was easier than I thought.

Edited by Steve_M

6 mins ago, Steve_M said:

That is why I went with. I never tied one. It was easier than I thought.That is why I went with. I never tied one. It was easier than I thought.

Yes me too. I put it off for a while a tried one this year. did my first one quick and successfully pier flipped fish on it. As long as I have a place to lean my rod to provide tension I can tie it quick. Only problem is it helps to have something to wrap the braid around to tighten. Ive been known to use my dugout.

The Alberto is very easy to tie on the fly over other knots. I use it a lot and while there are “stronger” knots, in a hot bite I’d rather rig quick then twist line over like this and that. 

Just tie it for yourself and pull test with a scale at home against other knots. Best way to see for yourself, the difference between a lot of knots is subtle. But tying them “right” matters most and I can tie an Alberto with little light and raining pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, TheSuperApe said:

Yes me too. I put it off for a while a tried one this year. did my first one quick and successfully pier flipped fish on it. As long as I have a place to lean my rod to provide tension I can tie it quick. Only problem is it helps to have something to wrap the braid around to tighten. Ive been known to use my dugout.

I watched a video on YouTube too tired from salt strong. He wrap the braid around his pinky to keep tension. It was a very good video.