Evil-Bay

Bug Repellant (no Deet)

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Nobody uses cigars? Works great, tastes great. Even in Maine where they grow em big. And they also have the dreaded black fly that never bother me.

As for the sprays, i formerly used Green Ban (Australian). Looks like Repel uses what GB had in it, and is packaged strikingly similar. 

I like to have an oversized hooded wind breaker if I'm wearing waders, and wind pants if no waders, for after dark when the bugs come out. I've been meaning to get some gloves as well. But with the hood up over a hat, and a little bit of non-deet repellent on the backs of my hands and neck, I'm usually pretty good. Learned this from back country travel in Alaska, but would add a head net as well.

Edited by johnysmoke

Two votes for Ranger Ready.  Doesn't last as long as DEET, but it works.

There's a new one coming out soon that is made from grapefruit.

Edited by oc1

I have to use deet. Tried so many other options. I believe your personnel scent and how your body emits what odor it has has alot to do with what you can get away with using and that is why some of us can get away with some non deet products. I tried skin so soft before and it was like I sprayed bunker oil all over myself. Useless for me. I also think some of the mosquitoes in places might be tougher to deter than some other areas. I remember once going to southern Maine and the mosquitoes there were very tough. Best bet is to try what you want but 100% deet would be my go to if other fail. Just I would be  a bit careful to use on clothes and hats and avoid as much as you can putting directly on skin. 

20 years ago I bought a nice bug suit from cables, breathable mesh quilted kind of to give you maybe a 3/16 gap to your skin.the hood is 2x long, you just pull it over your hat and tuck it in at your neck . Jacket and pants cuffs tied tight.

Works awesome worst thing was the hands , had about 40 skeeters on the back of each hand trying to fillet some grayling above the arctic circle ended up using leather work gloves .

Up there if you didn't have a head net you were inhaling the dam things with each breath .

14 hours ago, Pickerel_Juice said:

Permethrin treated clothing/bug net. 20% Picaridin for exposed skin. If I'm using the pica on my hands over the treated fingerless gloves I'll use a lip gripper, the stuffs not very toxic to fish but it's not non-toxic either.

^This

I use picaridin on my clothes when I go out too.  I have permethrin but haven't used it yet.  Still trying to find the best way to treat clothes with it.  DEET melts plastic and is a nerve agent.

Deet works best.  I've stopped using it after a friend got cancer.  Been using the Repel like someone mention in this thread.  It works but need to reapply frequently.  Another good thing about Repel it doesn't stain your close and has a pleasant order.  I apply just before walking though the weed areas and always have it on me.  So a few draw backs but deet has a big draw back.  

I just went ahead and purchased, Natrapel Insect Repellent, it has 20% picaridin.  Hopefuly it works well.  Gonna give this a shot and report back here on how it works in a week or two.

bug spray.JPG

On 6/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, Ditchbag said:

20 years ago I bought a nice bug suit from cables, breathable mesh quilted kind of to give you maybe a 3/16 gap to your skin.the hood is 2x long, you just pull it over your hat and tuck it in at your neck . Jacket and pants cuffs tied tight.

Works awesome worst thing was the hands , had about 40 skeeters on the back of each hand trying to fillet some grayling above the arctic circle ended up using leather work gloves .

Up there if you didn't have a head net you were inhaling the dam things with each breath .

Looks like Sea to Summit has a similar jacket. I use an old nylon wind breaker, long enough to pull sleeves over my hands. In Alaska I used a head net as well. I'm in Massachusetts now but still drag my head net around when camping, but haven't had to use it.