PSegnatelli

Scent neutralizer?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Is there a product out there that neutralizes scent from your hands?  

I don't care if I smell like a fish or clams, but everytime I apply bugspray, sunscreen, get gas, etc.  I seem to get skunked.  

Today for example....

4 people (me included) fishing next to each other. 50ft from one end to the other.  

Every one of us is using sandworms & clams. All on fishfinder rigs.  I was the only one that didn't get a bite the entire tide. 

I was also the only one that used OFF.   

Just makes me wonder.  

1 min ago, sytheteacher said:

Wash your hands with alcohol... Or even hand sanitizer... 

lots of discounted hand sanitizers out there right now:howdy:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m a a huge proponent of no bug spray or sunscreen on my hands. There’s nothing IMO that will get rid of that except maybe dawn or alcohol. You can apply using spray form and/or wearing latex gloves and then try not to touch your clothes. I started wearing one of those UPF hoodies instead of sunscreen and for bugs permethrin works better than OFF anyways, or just use spray on ankles, hat etc, not whole body. 

Edited by Johnsmyname
Sp

Surfland sells some stuff on their website, I've not tried it, and not sure if it works as you need.  It's a fisherman's soap or such.  

3 mins ago, Johnsmyname said:

I’m a a huge proponent of no bug spray or sunscreen on my hands. There’s nothing IMO that will get rid of that except maybe dawn or alcohol. You can apply using spray form and/or wearing latex gloves and then try not to touch your clothes. I started wearing one of those UPF hoodies instead of sunscreen and for bugs permethrin works better than OFF anyways, or just use spray on angles, hat etc, not whole body. 

I usually don't. But I was gettin tore up by no see ums & other biting bastards. 

Sunscreen I have a stick.  I have to use it. 

Guess I'll grab a bottle of alcohol and keep it in the car.    Maybe some ProCure afterwards

Edited by PSegnatelli

If you don’t think alcohol has a scent you have a problem…

Try using Hand wash of wd40,lol.

Actually the anise suggestion is a good one.

Didn’t Bob the garbageman recomend anise:howdy:

Edited by olvart

4 mins ago, olvart said:

If you don’t think alcohol has a scent you have a problem…

Try using Hand wash of wd40,lol.

Actually the anise suggestion is a good one.

Didn’t Bob the garbageman recomend anise:howdy:

I don’t think it’s the “scent” so much as the greasy chemicals. Pure speculation on my part, but alcohol is volatile and water soluble, it won’t stick to anything. 

If you're a Shimano user the Off or Cutter bug spray will melt the handle knobs too and make them sticky forever.  I don't know about the permethrin bug spray called Ranger Ready but it is a good repellant.

I have found that any scent of oils or fuel on you hands is death to todays fishing. Started carrying half a bar of soap in a baggy and washing thoroughly. It'll get the stank off ya.

I don't ever spray my hands with bug spray. I spray my hat down good off my head. Then my head and shoulders.

I can't say I've ever seen bug spray affect catch ratio on striped bass. But, I've definitely seen it happen flyfishing for trout.

They sell (or used to sell) anise soap.  As far as sunblock, I use spray on arms and legs/feet.  Bug spray only goes on clothing and I use picaridin instead of DEET.  DEET will melt plastic.

Scent isn't an issue for me.  I mean I spit on my line when tying knots.

Edited by Skunkoff