r111

Wheeleez tire gave up after 8y of svc

14 posts in this topic

One of my 30cm Wheeleez developed a crack by the valve stem. Used the soldering iron trick, but didn't have suitable filler material (that weird soft PVC), ended up using a zip tie. Applied a rubber patch on top, for good measure. But, not sure if this repair will last. Afraid one day I will end up with a flat tire, with 100f of sandy beach between my car and my PA14 :) 

Over the 8 years of service these rolled over untold miles of all kinds of terrain, never a puncture, never any air loss,  so guess that was a good run. Will need to order a replacement tire :( - about $60

New tires are not as good as old ones. They seem to have leaky valves. Went through two replacements already.  Tried replacing valve stems . Better but not 100%. Initial tires lasted about 10 years . New ones no bueno:(

lemme know if you want to get rid of one of the faulty ones (assuming u kept em), will get me back on the water much sooner than waiting for replacement from CA

Mine have Lasted 20+ years. Bought from Jon Shein in Jersey. I only use them about 20 times a year but it's more than half mile carry on my Hobie Adventure each way. No lightweight, that yak. A beauty in the water and a beast on land.

Has anyone tried expanding foam in a blown tire. I read someplace it could eventually breakdown into powder. Probably worth a shot if the tire is useless and getting tossed.

In the yak world, describing wear or usage in ‘years’ is kinda vague. Some go out 2x a year, others 200x a year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I  suspect you could drill out the tire where the valve is and cut the inside of the tire and insert a tube used for a wheel barrow? Would need to stitch the inside of the  tire back together after inserting the tube? Likely need some type of sewing awl?

Edited by dbjpb

I was able to secure a replacement yesterday, at a local NJ shop, so I got back on the water pronto. BTW, the "main" site is out of them.

Cut up the old "tube", mostly so that I would have a "welding filler" for when I might need it, but also to just see the construction, and  WOWSER, these are made INCREDIBLY tough, no wonder they lasted so long. Bottom (contact) surface is especially thick & tough.

My 2 cents: any avid kayaker that uses these, might wanna consider securing a spare for JIC. Or secure 1 for a group of 3-4 friendos.

On 6/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, The Riddler said:

Lets have a funeral. It will be a sad day when my 30cm kicks the bucket. 

Dont think is was stem related. 8Y of UV exposure and rough terrain, combined with weight of PA14+extras, did their thing. 

On 6/19/2021 at 3:46 PM, r111 said:

One of my 30cm Wheeleez developed a crack by the valve stem. Used the soldering iron trick, but didn't have suitable filler material (that weird soft PVC), ended up using a zip tie. Applied a rubber patch on top, for good measure. But, not sure if this repair will last. Afraid one day I will end up with a flat tire, with 100f of sandy beach between my car and my PA14 :) 

Over the 8 years of service these rolled over untold miles of all kinds of terrain, never a puncture, never any air loss,  so guess that was a good run. Will need to order a replacement tire :( - about $60

Any pics of the repair? I got a leak near the valve stem as well :/ 

There's an alternative that's actually free

The wheels from a little kids battery powered Jeep or ATV work great and they're always being chucked on bulk trash day. Float over sand and are feather light. Mine have been going strong for over 10 years

Wheels.jpg