Surf Guy

OSV Count

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The online reports of OSV numbers at AI MD have been all over the place lately.  Are people reporting inflated numbers to keep other people away?  145 +10 today at 9am, but only 139 at 2pm.  Seems fishy….  

I’ll just go early am during the week to avoid the crowd….

Edited by Surf Guy

I think the board at the pumps coming on is inflated by a 20% buffer (NPS). I base that on counting vehicle's on the way off the beach for the Spring or Fall run. Well what use to be...

The internet site reporting seems to be close. The fly situation on that website I wouldn't doubt.. lol

You won't catch me on that beach after June/July.

Edited by 7nBait

On 6/19/2021 at 4:51 PM, Catskill John said:

Seems about right, even on Memorial Day weekends the count goes down in the afternoon and the wait is gone. 

I'll take a guess that people visiting the beach ( non-fishing ) leave around 4pm to get cleaned up and go out for dinner.

Edited by 7nBait

On 6/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, Surf Guy said:

Come Sept/Oct for the Drum run this will be the best bet for getting on the beach.

On 6/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, Surf Guy said:

The online reports of OSV numbers at AI MD have been all over the place lately.  Are people reporting inflated numbers to keep other people away?  145 +10 today at 9am, but only 139 at 2pm.  Seems fishy….  

^^ This what I do. I spend about 2 weeks a year for vacation at Chincoteauge , I never had a problem getting on early on the week days. I'm heading down Friday to get my A.I. tag. I just wish they would inforce some law ,if your there and not fishing, you get kicked off the beach. They have that law in DE, but the bbq crowd still breakes the law , and De dnr ignores the party crowd.  This year I didn't even get my De surf tag, maybe I should have , maybe next year. But I have heard from fisherman that even being 20' between trucks, some scumbag party people try to and do sqweeze in between them. I hate to go surf fishing to argue with a scumbag partyer. I go to relax.

Full by 7am on the 4th and 8 am on the 5th. I’m assuming that a lot of those were overnighted in the bullpen. Still…. That’s CRAZY.  

Looking forward to weekdays in October!

On 6/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, Beachman22 said:

There is no 20 ft. distance between most trucks on De beaches.

That's up to you to stop some idiot backing to close.  I have stopped many a truck backing in to close. If they argue, I call DE dnr to come out. The idiot always loses.  But yes , checking what I could there is no distanse required.But like I said the rangers will side with who was there first. They do not want veachels stacked and on top of one another. They want one row.

Edited by hunter123

4 hours ago, Possum said:

With the AI MD osv open to the State line, there should be plenty of room for 145 vehicles..

You would be surprised sometimes. Couple years back, beautiful M Day weekend, Saturday mid day, I was fishing within sight of the line, I was the only one around. Looking north, I saw 2 trucks together, on a point where the beach turned, a couple miles away. 

Every one else was between the drive on to a couple miles south of the bull pen. 

Once the count dropped in the late afternoon there would be some beach drivers going back and forth. 

Been in the same spot for several M Day weekends and that was a bit different.