Sam3631

Are Costas Worth It

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Another vote yes on Costa Glass lenses. I have two pairs and they are the best and most clear sunglasses I have ever owned.  I did have one frame replaced under warranty at no charge before they were sold to Luxita,.

Have two pairs and looking for a third, love them. Their customer service was great last year when i sent back a pair with broken frames.

Cant speak on the glass as ive only ever owned plastic 

No one here has mentioned the rubbers on the Costa glasses...they stay on the bridge of your nose and ears when you get wet....very good.....had mine replaced by the company a couple years back after I wore them out....when my glasses came back they were cleaned, polished , like NIB.

My answer:

Yes if you are fishing very shallow water sight casting to moving fish. The clarity of the glass lenses is amazing.

The rubber on the nose and by your ears that some mention used to be really awesome. Now there seems to be some quality issues with it.

Costa was sold not long ago. They closed their factory here in Daytona. Put alot of people out of work.

I know alot of commercial fishermen here. Many who never had problems with getting repairs done on their glasses now say warranty isn't worth paper it's printed on.

I do love my Costa Brine with green lenses, however for work just got a pair of shady rays and for 40 bucks they are pretty amazing. 

I loved Costa til they were bought out last year. As mentioned above, Luxottica has had a negative influence on all the companies that they acquire. Prices still very high and now a garbage warranty. 

Ill be checking out Smith or someone else for my next pair. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

No one here has mentioned the rubbers on the Costa glasses...they stay on the bridge of your nose and ears when you get wet....very good.....had mine replaced by the company a couple years back after I wore them out....when my glasses came back they were cleaned, polished , like NIB.

Did you contact Costa? I've had 2 pairs replaced with brand-new glasses due to rubber releasing from the arms or bridge.

I called them ( Costa ) as to color. Blue for fishing and amber for driving was the suggestion.. I haven't had Mauis or Wileys but the Costas are great! I have glass lenses but must admit till I read this thread I never considered the safety angle. 

Marc

8 hours ago, reelfire said:

My answer:

Yes if you are fishing very shallow water sight casting to moving fish. The clarity of the glass lenses is amazing.

The rubber on the nose and by your ears that some mention used to be really awesome. Now there seems to be some quality issues with it.

Costa was sold not long ago. They closed their factory here in Daytona. Put alot of people out of work.

I know alot of commercial fishermen here. Many who never had problems with getting repairs done on their glasses now say warranty isn't worth paper it's printed on.

I do love my Costa Brine with green lenses, however for work just got a pair of shady rays and for 40 bucks they are pretty amazing. 

Didn't know they were sold. Thanks for the heads up.

Marc

16 hours ago, ARH1956 said:

Did you contact Costa? I've had 2 pairs replaced with brand-new glasses due to rubber releasing from the arms or bridge.

Hmm....maybe the glasses they sent me were new.....looked darn good when I got'em back....I dunno.

Glass vs plastic......Mirror coatings on either scratch about the same....food for thought.

Look for sales on Smith sunglasses on amazon..40$ for a 200$ pair.....Very good glasses...

Maui Jim makes a quality pair of glasses.

Revo makes a quality pair of glasses

Serenghetti makes a quality pair of glasses

Oakley makes a quality pair of glasses.

Wiley x makes a quality pair of glasses

I have around 10 pair of sunglasses from the brands mentioned.

Honestly, aside from lens color...There is no difference in quality

NONE.

I say go with the color your eyes prefer the best.

You're not going to get better glare cutting going with one brand over the other...Nobody's polarizing filter is any better than the next.

I wish this guy stuck around, his breakdown makes sense and tracks with my observations - costa 580G is pretty much HD vision when it comes to contrast. 

glass trivex poly.png

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Hmm....maybe the glasses they sent me were new.....looked darn good when I got'em back....I dunno.

I neglected to state that both pair I returned were no longer available in that color combo so they had me pick a replacement frame/lens combination. My point was intended to be that Costa fixed my problem at no cost. I don't remember for certain who covered postage though. It's been a minute, LOL.

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Glass vs plastic......Mirror coatings on either scratch about the same....food for thought.

Look for sales on Smith sunglasses on amazon..40$ for a 200$ pair.....Very good glasses...

Maui Jim makes a quality pair of glasses.

Revo makes a quality pair of glasses

Serenghetti makes a quality pair of glasses

Oakley makes a quality pair of glasses.

Wiley x makes a quality pair of glasses

I have around 10 pair of sunglasses from the brands mentioned.

Honestly, aside from lens color...There is no difference in quality

NONE.

I say go with the color your eyes prefer the best.

You're not going to get better glare cutting going with one brand over the other...Nobody's polarizing filter is any better than the next.

Some glass lenses incapsulate the reflective mirror under the outer glass layer offering it more protection from scratching than on their Poly lens. But clarity on the Poly lenses today is so good as to be a toss-up with glass. IMO, the single most important factor is fit. A properly sized frame with the lens coverage you want are imperative for glasses to be worn 8+ hours on any given day. I've tried every XL frame Costa, Smith Optics and Maui Jim offer, and now use the Peahi from Maui Jim, the Fisch from Costa and Touchstone from Smith. And, I agree with Scooby, there is little difference in lens quality or clarity between the top brands. And, as much as I'm a Costa fan, Maui's appear to use superior hinge components in most cases, although I've honestly never had a Costa hinge fail myself.

I've worn Costas for decades. The gray 580g lens with blue mirror really is awesome. That said, I JUST got a new pair, and my Optician went on and on about how much she hates Luxottica, and said they've already destroyed the brand...She said they used to sell tons of Costas, had a great sales rep, and loved working with them and their manufacturing / warranty departments...Said that since last year it's been a joke...terrible service, rotating cast of sales reps, nothing new for the in store display, AND...it just took 5 weeks for me to get prescription glasses from them...Lenses are still awesome...frames are extremely comfortable...but noticeably cheaper/crappier than my last pair...Optician said Mauis are much better in every way...better frames, better options, better lenses, much faster manufacturing time, and better warranty...I'm just too stubborn and loyal to Costa to have listened to her...My Saltbreaks, in tortoise, with progressive 580g blue mirror lenses retailed for $928. I paid $600...happy, but most likely my last pair of Costas...