Sam3631

Are Costas Worth It

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

I'm almost 50 years old and never had a nice pair of sunglasses.  Always buy cheap throw aways.   I usually scratch and replace them. I fish off the beach and in the bay from shore.  I also don't need prescription glasses for anything.

Are the Costas worth spending the money on?  Will I see a difference compared to cheapos?  Are glass lenses  much better than plastic?  Are plastic lens Costas worth buying or go for the glass?

I searched here and saw the posts on lens color so I'm covered there.  Thanks.

Yes in my opinion brands like Costa and Maui Jim are worth the extra money.  Glass lenses in general will give better clarity and more scratch resistant but weigh a lot more and are more expensive.  Plastic are more durable and in general have better UV protection and tinting because it’s easier to treat plastic than glass.  Just my opinion.  I own Costa and Maui Jims and prefer the Maui Jims but for the price Costas are great.  Any eye protection though is better than none.

YES.  If you plan to fiah the salt, get the glass lenses.  The plastic can scratch due to salt reisdue from spray.  This is especually true in saltier waters such as Florida or the Caribbean.

I have a pair of plastics i use for freshwater, glass for salt...

The clarity of glass lenses is unbeatable. The comfort of the lightweight plastic lenses is fantastic. I have 2 pairs of Costas one plastic blue mirror and glass green mirror and they are both great. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Absolutely, please buy yourself a pair. I'm 20 and I've been  lucky enough to fish with them since I was 15 and I use them every day of the year from may through November. they've allowed be to see so many fish from fresh to salt water. They're probably the primary reason I stared sight fishing for stripers with a spinning rod that led me to get into fly fishing for them. If you really look with them i think you could be really surprised with what u see. I prefer the amber lenses.  (Also buy some sort of glasses cleaning kit and clean them regularly)

Edited by liambrouillette

There are quite a few choices out there but whatever you choose get good lenses, they're very worth the money.

Cheepo sunglasses can do damage to your eyes. I think it was Mrs Big Gene here, who is in the glasses industry, who told me that many of the Wally World type made in China lenses claim to be 100% ultraviolet blocking, but are NOT. Your Iris is opening up because of the dark lens and letting even more ultraviolet in, which is a bad thing.

Pros and cons

Glass lenses last longer because they don't scratch as easily as plastic. My Costas are still going strong after ?? (a lot) of years and I can be rough on glasses.

Glass lenses are heavy compared to plastic. I had to have the OEM rubber nose pads changed on the Costas because they were to small and were causing pain on long days in the sun. We stopped into the Costa store in Charleston SC  and they did that for free.

Light poly lenses will never bother you and will never keep sliding down on your nose on hot sweaty days

Poly lens glasses generally cost a little less, so you can get a dark pair for bright days and an amber pair for cloudy day for just a bit more than one pair of glass

If I had to choose between my Costas and the Maui Jims they replaced (that are on the bottom of the Delaware river) it would be a 50/50 coin flip for all the reasons I just mentioned.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I prefer glass. Lasts longer and resists scratching in my opinion over plastic. I need Bi-focals now its becoming too hard to go without and look at the phone and knot tying.  Maui Jim offered bi-focal in glass. So I went with those. 300 bucks but you get what you pay for. I go with Amber lens. 

82444BAE-F27B-4773-9FDC-2D7544D8A65C.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler