sikcrodbends

Adding color to epoxy

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am starting to tie my own tail flags and am curious what mixtures folks are using to arrive at a desired color for the epoxy? Is it as simple as mixing in a specific ratio of acrylic paint to epoxy? Are there certain types of paints to stay away from?

Thanks ahead.

There are specific pigments that are made for use with epoxy, try a surfboard building supply house. But wouldn't it be easier for tail flags to just use different color thread.

15 mins ago, TKSurf said:

There are specific pigments that are made for use with epoxy, try a surfboard building supply house. But wouldn't it be easier for tail flags to just use different color thread.

Thanks for sharing.

Using a different color thread is certainly an option here but I've always been curious what specific paints/dyes folks are mixing into epoxy on the tail flags. Plus I like the look of a colored epoxy vs changing thread color.

I like to use the same powder they put in soft plastics, pearl-ex I think it’s called.  It also works in UV resin in small amounts.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, t_man7 said:

I like to use the same powder they put in soft plastics, pearl-ex I think it’s called.  It also works in UV resin in small amounts.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into this.