jjdbike

Looking for alternative to Phenix Trifecta Light?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have a Black Hole Suzuki Special 10' which is rated from 1/2 to 1 1/2. It does a wonderful job of launching light lures. I'm looking for something similar but a little lighter. I was set on a new Phenix Trifecta Light. This rod is 9', fast action, rated for 6 - 12lb test and lures 1/4 to 3/4. Seems perfect for tossing Lucky Crafts and other light baits into the surf on light line.

Does anyone know of an equivalent or similar rod?I know about the Shimano Claris and have one. I'm looking for a little higher quality and lighter weight. Does anything like that exist? 

Thanks in advance.

JD

Wonder if the black hole u/l rods would be of interest?

Tomos tackle in Salem MA has them and some interesting japanese imports for you perusal.

excellent customer service as well.

1 hour ago, the mekon said:

Tomos tackle in Salem MA has them and some interesting japanese imports for you perusal.

Thanks man,

In my original post I mentioned that I have a Block Hole Suzuki special. I love it, I just want something lighter. 

I agree w/ you about Tomos, I've made many purchases from them including a Black Hole rod. 

Thanks again,

JD

On 6/19/2021 at 7:15 AM, jjdbike said:

I have a Black Hole Suzuki Special 10' which is rated from 1/2 to 1 1/2. It does a wonderful job of launching light lures. I'm looking for something similar but a little lighter. I was set on a new Phenix Trifecta Light. This rod is 9', fast action, rated for 6 - 12lb test and lures 1/4 to 3/4. Seems perfect for tossing Lucky Crafts and other light baits into the surf on light line.

Does anyone know of an equivalent or similar rod?I know about the Shimano Claris and have one. I'm looking for a little higher quality and lighter weight. Does anything like that exist? 

Thanks in advance.

JD

Any ideas anyone?

JD

2 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Any ideas anyone?

JD

did you look at bh Suzuki 2 ul rods? under surf rods on their site.    I posted a review on the 8ft on this site .    it throws 1/4 oz jigs well.  and 1 oz spoons awesome.   I also really like the phenix feather....its under their freshwater line. 

21 hours ago, the mekon said:

17 mins ago, bronson said:

did you look at bh Suzuki 2 ul rods? under surf rods on their site.    I posted a review on the 8ft on this site .    it throws 1/4 oz jigs well.  and 1 oz spoons awesome.   I also really like the phenix feather....its under their freshwater line. 

Oh wow,

I missed the "2" bit. I didn't know they made these. I have the 10' 1/2 - 2oz, 10-20lb test and love it.

The 8'6" 1/4 - 1oz 8 - 12lb test would be perfect for me. I see it's moderate - fast. I wonder well that would punch out a 5/8 oz Lucky Craft Flash Minnow and a 3/4 oz LC Surf Pointer?

I'm going to look up your review. Pretty likely I'll be calling Tomo. I really like that guy, great customer service.

Thanks!

JD

33 mins ago, bronson said:

Thanks again, I read your review & will def be calling Tomo!

JD

21 hours ago, the mekon said:

52 mins ago, bronson said:

Just pulled the trigger.

Thanks!

Kil song ( Mr Black Hole USA ), just posted a review of the new u/l rods as below

I am in the UK and have the euro spec version 8’ 2 piece and also an very useful 8” telescopic u/l version.

let us know your thoughts when the rod arrives.