Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 18 - June 25

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Lots of small bluefish every where on Block Island feeding on scatted schools of sand eels.

On some days the bass bite on the Island has completed vanished, once again replaced by small bluefish.

Tons of scup too. Can't keep them off the flies.

Fished a couple hours tonight in Point Judith and did my usual shutout… many casts and quit after snagging and breaking off. I need to find a friend who knows how to fish the salt because I’m horrible. Lol. Might need to cheat and try bait. Can’t be that I stink it’s gotta be all the seals around. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

22 hours ago, Pat_RI said:

Fished a couple hours tonight in Point Judith and did my usual shutout… many casts and quit after snagging and breaking off. I need to find a friend who knows how to fish the salt because I’m horrible. Lol. Might need to cheat and try bait. Can’t be that I stink it’s gotta be all the seals around. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

Next weekend if you are up for it, I’m down to try and put you on some bass. Not sure if the size will be there like it has been the last 3-4 weeks but this spot never fails to have action. Usually at least hit some sub-slot to upper slot range until end of june

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tried to fish last pm but too much lightening for me, I don’t mind the rain but won’t fish in lightening. Got about 5 casts in. :banghd:

Checked radar before I left and looked like I had a good gap to fish. Got to place checked again and whole area lit up red.

Edited by Kooky

5 hours ago, Kooky said:

Tried to fish last pm but too much lightening for me, I don’t mind the rain but won’t fish in lightening. Got about 5 casts in. :banghd:

Checked radar before I left and looked like I had a good gap to fish. Got to place checked again and whole area lit up red.

I was 1.5 miles from my truck when lightning started the other day. Not a fun run back. Same thing where the forecast looked ok. Leaned my lesson to stay close to the truck if there is even a chance. 

Scrub the trip to Block Island this morning.

Got as far as four miles out from the mainland decided to turn back.

Seas maybe 4-5 feet, dense fog getting denser further you got off shore.

Wind was supposed to pick up too.

Fly fishing so depends on visuals and good sightings.

I hate looking at screens all day, too stress-full for me, wired me out.

Got out last pm and the weeds were terrible. A mix of stringy green weeds and that red monkey crap, could find pockets of clean water but could not present long before it was covered in weeds.  Moved all around the area to find clean water and no luck.  Found a few small fish in the back water to save the skunk.

Anyone else noticing an odd lack of small bait?  Curious if it is just me, but the area i am fishing is usually like clockwork every year with the bait you see and the fishing patterns that follow.  The small bait is just completely missing, usually the area is swarmed with small sand eels and silversides by this point. After dark you can close your eyes and hear the fish popping and slurping on the surface all around.  Its just void of the bait we usually, and of course no bait = no fish.  Havent fished as much as usual this spring due to kids sports consuming all my time, but when i do get out the fishing has been really piss poor compared to previous years. I know some folks have some spots dialed in but wow this year is a struggle.  Also not getting out makes it hard to put patterns together which is part of my frustration.

Tried a NE RI location (afternoon to early evening, during incoming) once again and found the fishing to be very slow - just very slow pick of small cocktail blues + one schoolie striped bass. As mentioned above, very little in the way of bait and I think the fish are just cruising around with nothing to hold them to one spot

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Anyone else noticing an odd lack of small bait?

Yes! This time last year the docks, boulder fields, beach corners, just about everywhere near shore, small bait was present in big numbers. This year i'm barely seeing anything. The only decent indication of bait close to shore for me lately has been cormorants.

6 hours ago, Kooky said:

Got out last pm and the weeds were terrible. A mix of stringy green weeds and that red monkey crap, could find pockets of clean water but could not present long before it was covered in weeds.  Moved all around the area to find clean water and no luck.  

Weed city.

Yeah my backwater spots in both eastern CT and western RI dont have the consistent small bait they had this time last year. This has made me focus out front more but with the weeds I was forced to head to the backwaters. Ive found some schoolie action but it is either as many fish as you want or no fish at all depending on the day. 

Hickory Shad, thick as crap. Caught tons on the fly rod. Jump like baby Tarpon. Almost the same time as last year. When the cows find these it’s lights out for sure. I know the teenagers have them cornered. Been waiting for this, feeding on sandies by the mouthful. Need to tie more flies again