Capefox

Casting Avet LC and MXL MC reels

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm targeting < 8-foot sharks in Florida this Fall and I'm considering adding an Avet MXL MC or an LX MC to my 12 ft Penn Battalion heaver. How do these reels cast? Are they docile enough to safely sling 8-n-bait 100 yards out? How do they compare to the Saltist 50? Should I just stick to my 8500 spinners loaded with 80-100 lb braid instead? 

Edited by Capefox

I thought the LX was a little big for casting and sold mine in favor of an MXL raptor.  Paired with a quality heaver it casts 8nbait nicely.  It's been my go to reel for the better part of 10 years and put very large sharks and tarpon on the beach without skipping a beat.  

Though honestly a quality spinner with similar capacity should work fine too.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have both the two speed and single speed  M size mc Avets and like them both. The ability to get 8 and bait out 100 yards while nominally dependent on your equipment has a lot more to do with your skill as a caster. If you know what rod to choose and have the ability as a caster either reel is more than capable of a 100 yards.

Marc

Edited by mml4

2 hours ago, Capefox said:

Someone suggested the Avet JX too. Does anyone have experience surfcasting this reel?

I don't have the JX, but isn't it just a narrow framed LX? If you're going for the larger frame, might as well stick with the LX for added capacity.   

What kinds of sharks are you targeting?

Mostly blacktips and spinners six-feet long or less, but with the accidental chance of a somewhat larger bull or sandbar shark picking up the bait. I ordered the MXL G2 MC and plan to spool it with 550 yards of 50 lb braid. 

If you’re not used to a bait casting reel I’d stick with the spinning reels. Even with the MC cast it’s challenging to get a good cast. I don’t use mine as much as I should but then there’s also guiding the line on the reel as you fight the fish! Pain in the rear! If you do get Avet make sure that it’s a Raptor they have the drag power to pop free your lead. I do like my MXL’s but mainly use them when I kayak out bait.

8 hours ago, Capefox said:

Mostly blacktips and spinners six-feet long or less, but with the accidental chance of a somewhat larger bull or sandbar shark picking up the bait. I ordered the MXL G2 MC and plan to spool it with 550 yards of 50 lb braid. 

Perfect reel for those species.  They are wild when you first hook up and can easily straighten a 4x hook during their jumps.  Good luck!

On 6/21/2021 at 8:16 PM, Clbay1971 said:

If you’re not used to a bait casting reel I’d stick with the spinning reels. Even with the MC cast it’s challenging to get a good cast. I don’t use mine as much as I should but then there’s also guiding the line on the reel as you fight the fish! Pain in the rear! If you do get Avet make sure that it’s a Raptor they have the drag power to pop free your lead. I do like my MXL’s but mainly use them when I kayak out bait.

I really enjoy casting and using the smaller magged reels, incl. my Penn Squall 15, Penn Fathom II15, and Akios 757 (especially the Akios). However, these are a bit small for some species and tactics.

I've also been casting decently with the large Daiwa Seagate 50H, and I marvel at how well the centrifugal brakes work on such a big reel after my disappointment in trying to use the Fathom 30 and 40 as casting reels. Although the Seagate has oodles of power and capacity, it does not cast as well as the smaller Fathoms, Squalls, and Akios.

I'm hoping the Avet Gen 2 MXL MC I just ordered proves to be the "goldilocks" (just right) surf reel for me. More power and capacity than the smaller Fathom/Squall/Akios but with fairly comparable casting ability. When the reel arrives, I'll take it down to the local sports fields and promise to do a follow-up report.  

I do have a Spinfisher 8500LL on a 12ft Carnage rod rated for up to 65 lb line and 8 oz sinkers, but there's something more fun about using multipliers.  I feel like using conventionals connects me to my ancestors, who surf-cast and landed huge kob (mulloway) and zambezis (bull sharks) on big, simple conventional reels in beautiful remote places like the Eastern Cape.  

Nice they have great customer service! The reels are built like a tank and as you know on the heavy side but for bait fishing they shine. That 20lbs at full should get you out of the muck! Good choice and enjoy your new baby.