MikeA.

Need Penn Spinfisher VI 5500 spool washers

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Greetings!

I loaded up my new 5500, and the line is loading more at the BOTTOM of the spool.  And of course, I mistakenly tossed the washers that came with the reel.  I spoke with someone at Penn, and they said that I need a thinner washer, and because it's "an internal part," they want me to send it back for warranty maintenance.  This seems a little extreme, since the reels come with different washers already.

Can someone help me figure out how to fix this problem?  Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, MikeA. said:

Greetings!

I loaded up my new 5500, and the line is loading more at the BOTTOM of the spool.  And of course, I mistakenly tossed the washers that came with the reel.  I spoke with someone at Penn, and they said that I need a thinner washer, and because it's "an internal part," they want me to send it back for warranty maintenance.  This seems a little extreme, since the reels come with different washers already.

I believe if it's loading more on the bottom, you need to remove a shim.  Also, make sure the spool is seated properly and drag is tightened down before spooling line 

7 hours ago, MikeA. said:

Greetings!

If the line is stacking at the back of the spool, you're going to have to remove shims. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to shim the rotor. I had to do that with one of my Torques. I was able to do it myself with washers that the guys over at Penn provided. It wasn't that big of a job. Why don't you go over to the Penn forum and ask the Penn guys if they can send you the shims?

11 hours ago, MikeA. said:

Greetings!

Just fyi, something is wrong with these reels. I made a thread about this same issue last year for my 4500. I exchanged it and the new reel is fine. Did you by any chance order from amazon?

7 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Just fyi, something is wrong with these reels. I made a thread about this same issue last year for my 4500. I exchanged it and the new reel is fine. Did you by any chance order from amazon?

No.  Ordered through Basspro.

13 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

I believe if it's loading more on the bottom, you need to remove a shim.  Also, make sure the spool is seated properly and drag is tightened down before spooling line 

There are no shims.  Just one washer.