jjdbike

Zman scented jerk shadz Vs Flukes?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I am thinking through drop shot rigging for California Halibut the the SoCal Surf. Was originally going to use 4" or 5" Zoom Flukes. Then I thought about the scent and buoyancy of Zman products. Considering using the Z-Man scented jerk shadz instead of Flukes.

Anyone here do that or similar? I've not used Z-Man's stuff. I know they need to be kept in their own bags and not mixed with other tackle. I've also heard they're tricky to hook due to toughness of material. Would these work an a traditional worm hook rigged weedless?

Your thoughts, experiences or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

I exclusively fish ZMan for all things soft bait, but do not fish any of the “fluke type” baits. However, I do fish drop shot rigs with their Trick Shotz (both sizes) on a VMC Spinshot hook, “nose hooked”. I feel the flap style tail on the Trick Shotz offers better action over a fluke for this application. I also use the Trick Shots as a teaser on a flipping hook... Either rig works well. Now regarding a weedless set up, traditional worm hooks don’t work that well as the bait has a tendency to slide down unless glued. I hate futzing with glue while fishing so my easy fix for this is a Mustad Grip Pin hook.

And if you are really dead set on scent, just add some Pro Cure as this is what ZMan uses and what I do when the need arises.

Edited by Inshore

22 mins ago, Inshore said:

I exclusively fish ZMan for all things soft bait, but do not fish any of the “fluke type” baits. But I do fish drop shot rigs with their Trick Shotz (both sizes) on a VMC Spinshot hook, “nose hooked”. I feel the flap style tail on the Trick Shotz offers better action over a fluke for this application. I also use the Trick Shots as a teaser on a flipping hook... Either rig works well. Now regarding a weedless set up, traditional worm hooks don’t work that well as the bait has a tendency to slide down unless glued. I hate futzing with glue while fishing so my easy fix for this is a Mustad Grip Pin hook.

And if you are really dead set on scent, just add some Pro Cure as this is what ZMan uses and what I do when the need arises.

Thanks Inshore.

JD

Posted (edited) · Report post

They work great if fish are around. I’ve caught calico bass, sand bass, yellowfin croaker, White Sea Bass and of course halibut. On them. 

Zman 5” streakz 

Cali Hali last weekend. 

5381B502-37EF-4911-9C21-D8A6BB528632.jpeg

Edited by Fishjerk

I use them all the time for snook in FL  Zman stuff lasts way longer than super flukes.  I personally don't think the scent is that big a deal,but it can't hurt.  I am fishing them with texas style off set hooks,no weight,so that is very different set up from what you are doing. These lures work on many different kinds of fish.  Zman has become my mainstay go to lure.