nchit

3WT FLY REEL SUGGESTIONS/RECOMENDATIONS

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Looking for some recommendations for a decent 3WT reel for panfish and trout

I am a fly noob and have been told by many that I should keep in mind the reel is only holding the line spend more on the fly line

I don't know if I'd like a click n paw as my current fly outfit is a 5wt with a drag knob

Any help is much appreciated      

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pflueger Medalist 1492  - get an older US made reel off the big auction site if you can. 

For a lot more money, Ross Colorado

These are click-pawls - a medalist 1494 has an adjustable drag if you don't want a click-pawl. 

Edited by MooreLyonQuick

I’m a fan of the current Ross line-up and fish three different “small reels” they offer, good stuff IMO... 

Colorado 2/3 - I fish it on a 6’6” 3wt

Animas 4/5 - I fish it on a 7’ 4wt

Evolution LTX 3/4- I fish it on a 8’4” 4wt

Another decent reel I have for my daughter is a Waterworks - Lamson Guru S -3+, I have that on a 8’6” 4wt. Nice lil reel...

My father uses Galvan reels. I think he has two different Brookies and a few different Rush Lights and Torques. These are all solid as well.

If you wind with your right hand (or don't mind trying), consider a vintage JW Young reel - plenty of inexpensive ones on the UK version of the big auction site.  A 3 inch Condex or Pridex would work well (and some of the Pridexes are reversible).  They are solid click/pawl reels and as you've heard, fishing for trout and panfish, you won't need a disc drag system.  Most likely, you'll fight the fish off the reel and even if you do end up getting them on the reel, the click/pawl will be fine (keep in mind the much coveted Hardy Perfect reels are click/pawl).  Don't spend a lot on a reel for this type of fishing unless you want to for aesthetic reasons.  You also don't want to go cheap with modern reels (i.e., something that cost <$100 brand new), as they are likely to be poorly constructed and will frustrate you because they have gaps that pinch the leader, or cheap plastic parts that will break, etc.  A vintage used reel like these (or the Medalist as previously recommended) won't cost you more, will last forever, and will do the job you need.

Edited by East Coaster
typo

I was just looking for a 4 wt reel this week, and ended up getting a Redington Zero series click and pawl reel. Unless you beat the crap out of your stuff, it should be fine.

Super light, basic as heck and 90 bucks

Edited by Mr T

1 min ago, Mr T said:

I was just looking for a 4 wt reel this week, and ended up getting a Redington Zero series click and pawl reel

Super light, basic as heck and 90 bucks

I second this choice - I bought the 2/3 size for a 3 weight glass rod and for the money and what I'm going to use it for, it's more than adequate...Because, let's face it - we're not chasing false albacore with these things

I have a couple smaller size reels for my #3 weight and #000 Weight rods... If you have a little extra cash the Hatch 1 is an insane little reel! I was at the right place at the right time and got a great deal on this reel.. I am currently using this on my Wild Brook Trout Rod (Sage #000), way overkill but it is small and super light... The other is a BVK size 0 click and paw also a great little reel!

Not sure what your budget is but I agree with Inshore about a Evolution LTX - probably my favorite reel right now... but pretty pricey. 

If you're looking for something less expensive, Lamson Liquid 3+ (previously the 1.5 model). Great, light little reel and not as noisy as a click/pawl. 

Appreciate all of the suggestions, glad I asked 1st before pulling the trigger on a cheapo Maxcatch or Piscifun

Cant go wrong with a small lamson reel I have one on my 9ft 3 wt XP great little reel you can pickup a small large arbor one that’s discontinued at a great price with a spare spool

21 hours ago, VeeRay56 said:

+1 on the Galvan Brookie. Had one on my 3WT. Perfect balance. 

Also would recommend the Galvan Brookie. Have the 3/4 on my 4wt, great reel. Lightest reel I've owned, very well made.