Artie Fishil

New opening time at the Hook

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I stopped at Sandy Hook yesterday morning and the guard at the gate informed me that the park will now open at 6 A.M. What gives ? Are they trying to sell more night passes ? I've seen at lot more rabbits since they killed off the foxes. Rabbits don't eat plovers. It only gets better.

Edited by Artie Fishil
spelling correction

58 mins ago, ctd450 said:

night pass sales are suspended until September.  

Nope, you can still by one at the entrance.  Not that there’s any reason to have one until the fall, maybe.

17 mins ago, cartopper said:

Nope, you can still by one at the entrance.  Not that there’s any reason to have one until the fall, maybe.

interesting, i thought they weren't selling them at all.

hopefully we get to fish it this fall and they don't decide to dredge it or something right at the peak of activity 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/18/2021 at 5:46 AM, Artie Fishil said:

I stopped at Sandy Hook yesterday morning and the guard at the gate informed me that the park will now open at 6 A.M. What gives ? Are they trying to sell more night passes ? I've seen at lot more rabbits since they killed off the foxes. Rabbits don't eat plovers. It only gets better.

Once you ask, its over....I asked about dogs on the beach and was told not after March, meanwhile there are a few dogs on the fishermans beach in the morning with their owners.  I'd take mine but now I asked.

Edited by Baccigalup

On 6/18/2021 at 5:46 AM, Artie Fishil said:

They really killed the foxes? Because i was there last week and saw a feral cat  

On 6/20/2021 at 11:42 PM, Baccigalup said:

Once you ask, its over....I asked about dogs on the beach and was told not after March, meanwhile there are a few dogs on the fishermans beach in the morning with their owners.  I'd take mine but now I asked.

I know better than to ask, the toll collector that waved me in stopped me to inform me about the new hours. I checked with park superintendent's office and they verified it.

39 mins ago, Artie Fishil said:

About 2 years ago, a ranger told me they get rid of the foxes because they had mange. Sounded like more plover b. s.

Several years back they tried to eradicate foxes, and the primary purpose was to mitigate their impact on plovers.  
But they didn’t get them all and I’ve been seeing numerous fox and even some pups.  

8 hours ago, cartopper said:

Several years back they tried to eradicate foxes, and the primary purpose was to mitigate their impact on plovers.  
But they didn’t get them all and I’ve been seeing numerous fox and even some pups.  

In addition to this many fox populations in our local parks had some pretty bad cases of mange and some years back many were put down because they were in really bad shape.  I know.. I seen them.    I personally like seeing foxes and if they get a plover or two that's nature and we shouldn't be interrupting that.