Cerealkilla43

Rod for VS250?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking to take my VS250 xseries that I use for surf fishing out on a boat. Whats a rod that it won't feel stupidly big on but also won't be absolutely overkill? Would be used mostly for inshore for stripers/blues/fluke etc.

5 hours ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Hi, I'm looking to take my VS250 xseries that I use for surf fishing out on a boat. Whats a rod that it won't feel stupidly big on but also won't be absolutely overkill? Would be used mostly for inshore for stripers/blues/fluke etc.

You must be absolutely nuts.  A vs250 on a boat for inshore..  Buy a cheap 4000 series reel

agree with Goldy, VS250 is way too big for inshore stripers/blues and fluke. Hell you could use that for football BFTs...get yourself a Daiwa BG in 3500 size (i think 4k spool is interchangeable so add that if youd like with higher lb test line when bigger fish present) on a shimano teramar southeast rated to 1.5oz or 2 oz. 

that should work well for stripers and blues but will also work for shallower depth fluking. if you're fishing reefs/wrecks for fluke I'd have different recommendations.  

On 6/18/2021 at 9:27 AM, surfstryker said:

agree with Goldy, VS250 is way too big for inshore stripers/blues and fluke. Hell you could use that for football BFTs...get yourself a Daiwa BG in 3500 size (i think 4k spool is interchangeable so add that if youd like with higher lb test line when bigger fish present) on a shimano teramar southeast rated to 1.5oz or 2 oz. 

that should work well for stripers and blues but will also work for shallower depth fluking. if you're fishing reefs/wrecks for fluke I'd have different recommendations.  

Should I go with a 7' or 7'6?

I have 7s but really personal preference. I find I get enough casting distance with fhe 7 and it works for light jigging. I like the versatility - I had two on the boat this morning - one for throwing soft plastics and top water along the sedges and the other for jigging fluke. Neither caught today tho, lol. 

7 hours ago, surfstryker said:

I have 7s but really personal preference. I find I get enough casting distance with fhe 7 and it works for light jigging. I like the versatility - I had two on the boat this morning - one for throwing soft plastics and top water along the sedges and the other for jigging fluke. Neither caught today tho, lol. 

Lol. Medium or med/heavy? Leaning towards med/heavy just in case i run into bigger fish but interested in your opinion. 

11 mins ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Lol. Medium or med/heavy? Leaning towards med/heavy just in case i run into bigger fish but interested in your opinion. 

I have MH's and have zero concerns with their ability to land larger fish. I accidentally caught a 4-5 foot brown shark on one while fishing a bunker pod and the rod was fine. I'd really like to get the H or even the Teramar Northeast H for throwing some larger plugs or slightly heavier jigging. 

I use Shimano Trevala's for deeper water needs (wreck/reef jigging in 50+ feet of water) and some light trolling. I think the Shimanos, both Teramars and Trevalas, are a good bang for the buck. They arent super cheap but they are great rods in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, surfstryker said:

I have MH's and have zero concerns with their ability to land larger fish. I accidentally caught a 4-5 foot brown shark on one while fishing a bunker pod and the rod was fine. I'd really like to get the H or even the Teramar Northeast H for throwing some larger plugs or slightly heavier jigging. 

I use Shimano Trevala's for deeper water needs (wreck/reef jigging in 50+ feet of water) and some light trolling. I think the Shimanos, both Teramars and Trevalas, are a good bang for the buck. They arent super cheap but they are great rods in my opinion. 

Gotcha. gonna go with a 7' MH teramar. Gonna pair it with a shimano stradic FL, should I go with the 3000 or 4000?

A 4000 will be fine.  My buddy fishes that on the boat and lands nice fish. 

i fish either a slammer 4500 or 3500 on the boat. 

5 hours ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Gotcha. gonna go with a 7' MH teramar. Gonna pair it with a shimano stradic FL, should I go with the 3000 or 4000?

4000 will work well! 

9 hours ago, Cerealkilla43 said:

Shimano tends to run small (3000 is closer to a 2500). I would recommend the 4000 if you’re going for a bigger fish like blue fish & striper. And it won’t be overkill if you end up doing some fluking.