Evil-Bay

Plug ID plz

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, I accidentally drove by a garage sale and while waiting at the light I looked over at the table and saw some plugs.  I pulled over to take a look and bought these 3.  Only 1 of them had a signature.  Plugs are made of wood and looks very vintage?  

Can you guys ID all 3?

IMG_20210617_193802.jpg

IMG_20210617_193815.jpg

IMG_20210617_193842.jpg

IMG_20210617_193851.jpg

3 mins ago, RockRonin said:

The one in the middle is a white perch...oops, sorry, wrong thread.

Lol, I was actually waiting to see if anyone would say that...thanks.

The 2 bottom ones?

As a matter of fact, I've never fished metal lip swimmers like these.  Do you slow retrieve, moderate or fast?

2 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

The 2 bottom ones?

As a matter of fact, I've never fished metal lip swimmers like these.  Do you slow retrieve, moderate or fast?

Retrieve should vary with current speed, the plug will tell you what it wants you to do.  If you have surf you’ll feel the plug swim faster, then slow down.  Try to keep it at a constant speed.

The burple one could be a slim too, Gary only rarely signed black plugs

FWIW guys will pay decent coin for Gary's or make a trade that could really help get you set up with a selection of plugs

On 6/17/2021 at 7:50 PM, Evil-Bay said:

Is the Gary Null a vintage plug?

The last name is Hull.  I did not know him or own any of his plugs, but many here did and do.  He passed away several years ago and the plugs that he built are generally considered collector's items.  The one you have appears to have been used as intended and I would encourage you to continue (just make sure the knot is strong and there aren't any bluefish in the area)!  I have no idea who made the others, but take pics of the tail-wrap that the bucktail is attached to.  Many plug builders have distinctive tail-wraps and guys who know far more than I do can identify builders based on that alone.