RiverRaider

What Would You Do With A 7 year-Old Gas Furnace?

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Where did I argue the data? I argued that the minimal amount of change wouldn't be enough to make a difference between needing AC in the 60's as compared to today, you dolt. :dismay: 

And, from what I've read, we are heading into a solar minimum, which is going to make AC obsolete. Better get a better heater, mother****er!!

You were correct in your assertion amd never argued the data 

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

it is i just replaced my 30+ year unit but only because i installed central air as well

you'll never get 30 out of the new one

2 hours ago, Belmo said:

I was talking to a guy not too long ago whose dad built a house at the Jersey shore in the '60s, right after the big storm in '62. His dad was not a lavish guy, but on the stuff he liked (boats, fishing, and the Jersey shore among them), he spared no expense, and he had the loot to do that. 

The house was built without central air -- and the only reason was that nobody saw any need for it. It wasn't a cost issue -- the guy would have paid if he thought he needed it. But he didn't, for the same reason that zillion-dollar houses in San Francisco don't have A/C -- they never need it. But now, nobody would even think of building a house at the Jersey shore without central air. 

Temperatures are warmer than they were 50 or 60 years ago, and a lot of places that never needed a/c are getting it. Including your house.  

bull spit!

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

So, about a degree and a half, if that. And that makes so much of a difference that AC is now necessary. What a maroon. :rolleyes: 

1.5 C is the highest variation in the last 11,000 +- years with the exception of the last 150. Goodbye Holocene, hello Anthropocene.

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

And, from what I've read, we are heading into a solar minimum, which is going to make AC obsolete. Better get a better heater, mother****er!!

It's actually the shifting of the magnetic poles of the earth that is causing the change in climate.

3 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

1.5 C is the highest variation in the last 11,000 +- years with the exception of the last 150. Goodbye Holocene, hello Anthropocene.

And 1.5 is the average. There was an article in the Post a year or so ago that said the increase in South Jersey was more like 4 degrees F, which is 2.2 C. Cape May County, for whatever reason (and it could be non-climate related, like urbanization) was one of the places in the entire country that had warmed the most. That jibes with something anecdotal I was told: a woman who is beginning her 69th consecutive summer at the Jersey shore (for real, in the same house) told me that the last 20 years have been noticeably hotter than when she was younger. 

But these morans already knew all this, I'm sure. :dismay:

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

you'll never get 30 out of the new one

sure I can, i'll run it for 15 then ship to Belmo for a rebuild project.

that should stretch it to 30 easy

Posted (edited) · Report post

people didn't have AC in the 60's because they weren't *****s and could deal with a little heat, the influx of the soft, weak and the need for optimal temperature 24/7 is what brought us central AC

Edited by Sandflee

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

And 1.5 is the average. There was an article in the Post a year or so ago that said the increase in South Jersey was more like 4 degrees F, which is 2.2 C. Cape May County, for whatever reason (and it could be non-climate related, like urbanization) was one of the places in the entire country that had warmed the most. That jibes with something anecdotal I was told: a woman who is beginning her 69th consecutive summer at the Jersey shore (for real, in the same house) told me that the last 20 years have been noticeably hotter than when she was younger. 

But these morans already knew all this, I'm sure. :dismay:

They know what they BELIEVE ....

3 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

They know what they BELIEVE ....

I used to be an AGW skeptic. And I still think that the climate scientists act like their models are better than they really are: when it comes to something as sophisticated and complex as the earth's climate, there's way more that we do not know than we do know. 

But the overwhelming weight of the data won me over. Science, like I said, is true whether one believes it or not.