coolhandfluke

any concrete guys ?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

i have crumbling i guess stucco type cement falling off the foundation.  its a house from 1919.  what right product should i use to cover up the exposed foundation and fill in cracks in the same area ?

I actually have a similar issue and was told mortar mix type s  is what I need.  

But I don't have stucco.

Also, believe it or not @Otter is are cement guy.  He's a helpful sort.

1 hour ago, Tom T said:

But I don't have stucco.

its not really stucco, its like a cement skin shaped to look like a block wall

45 mins ago, mybeach said:

how about a picture of said decrepit foundation...

How about you drive to NJ?  I have plenty of work for you.

Even at your usurious rates!

Jub jub, it should be noted that I am not a mason. My dad is Mike the mason, perhaps you’ve heard of him, i just labored for him for years. If you’ve been thru deal or red bank and seen places like the infantalinos custom marble coping, or anything else that makes your eyes pop out of your pointed head that’s my pop. He is the man. A perfectionist, his joints are the stuff of legend, all faces are flush and all corners plum (or blame the framing crew). Anyway we hate concrete. Hate hate hate. It’s ugly, it kills you, and it’s no good. What you have there is not concrete, it’s just plaster or mortar. Some notes for your relatively simple repair that probably didn’t require another thread:

1. knock the surrounding loose stuff off, go on, hit it with a hammer. If it sounds hollow it’s gotta go. Ding it up until you find good purchase. Solid stuff :th: 

2. wire brush that mess and comb your hair with it after 

3. nothing will match existing color. Premix will be more grey, Portland sand and line will be lighter, I could have that backwards but point is you will be planting a bush in front of this haphazard repair 

4. get the premix stuff, don’t be stupid this is not a big job

5. DAMPEN the area prior to application. Don’t soak it like the mattress. Damp. Mortar will suck up the water and melt off before it sets

6. cheapo 8” flat trowel, mix it kind of tight and go nuts

7. plant bush, have beer :th: 

3 mins ago, Otter said:

Jub jub, it should be noted that I am not a mason. My dad is Mike the mason, perhaps you’ve heard of him, i just labored for him for years. If you’ve been thru deal or red bank and seen places like the infantalinos custom marble coping, or anything else that makes your eyes pop out of your pointed head that’s my pop. He is the man. A perfectionist, his joints are the stuff of legend, all faces are flush and all corners plum (or blame the framing crew). Anyway we hate concrete. Hate hate hate. It’s ugly, it kills you, and it’s no good. What you have there is not concrete, it’s just plaster or mortar. Some notes for your relatively simple repair that probably didn’t require another thread:

1. knock the surrounding loose stuff off, go on, hit it with a hammer. If it sounds hollow it’s gotta go. Ding it up until you find good purchase. Solid stuff :th: 

2. wire brush that mess and comb your hair with it after 

3. nothing will match existing color. Premix will be more grey, Portland sand and line will be lighter, I could have that backwards but point is you will be planting a bush in front of this haphazard repair 

4. get the premix stuff, don’t be stupid this is not a big job

5. DAMPEN the area prior to application. Don’t soak it like the mattress. Damp. Mortar will suck up the water and melt off before it sets

6. cheapo 8” flat trowel, mix it kind of tight and go nuts

7. plant bush, have beer :th: 

i appreciate your pointers but my real question is will the mortar mix i posted be the proper stuff ?

3 hours ago, Tom T said:

But I don't have stucco.

He's no Branford Jeff 

That's all I have to say