MaxKatt

14 Republican's voted NO to Federal Holiday remembering end of Slavery

Rate this topic

241 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, dena said:

If this is such a good idea, why didn't Democrats do it long before today?

If they are so smart, why wait 160 years?

If this is worth doing, it should have been done a long time ago.

Awareness and sensitivity has increased.

Plus we had to get enough votes from the party who for the last 40 years has employed "The Southern Strategy" to win elections.  

And when the last POTUS to come from your Republican party was endorsed by both a former Grand Wizard and the KKK's Crusader...probably not the guy who's desk you want to send that legislation to for signing.

Edited by MaxKatt

11 mins ago, KnewBee said:

I did not say that

I never said you did , I inferred it by your statement. That is a date in which Texas celebrates the Emancipation Proclamation finally being recognized by the state at the end of the Civil War. Other states had been observing the EP for over 2 years by that point. So make a National Holiday for a minor event in one state ? Let Texas celebrate it if they wish and any other state can do as they wish. There are bigger National events that should be National Holidays before this one.

36 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 4.19.02 PM.png

Good for America.  Ya know, The UNITED States unlike when we were DIVIDED with civil war and slavery.  

Not saying these the overdue recognition will help unite us further, but it won't hurt either.  

Go team America!  

17 mins ago, The Dude said:

I'm on board. My big issue with the BLM movement was the lack of an ask. A federal holiday seems like a reasonable result/compromise. We get to celebrate the nation while also acknowledging the sins of the past in a positive manner.

The official name of the holiday was chosen to be divisive… otherwise great    

32 mins ago, dena said:

If this is such a good idea, why didn't Democrats do it long before today?

If they are so smart, why wait 160 years?

If this is worth doing, it should have been done a long time ago.

Agreed.   Going out on a limb here when I say:   The past decade has seen an increasing awareness of coming to terms with our history, especially with regard to racial inequity.   Times are changing.   For the better we can only hope

21 mins ago, The Dude said:

I'm on board. My big issue with the BLM movement was the lack of an ask. A federal holiday seems like a reasonable result/compromise. We get to celebrate the nation while also acknowledging the sins of the past in a positive manner.

Well said.  And what I was trying to say when answering the "why now"

19 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Awareness and sensitivity has increased.

Plus we had to get enough votes from the party who for the last 40 years has employed "The Southern Strategy" to win elections.  

And when the last POTUS to come from your Republican party was endorsed by both a former Grand Wizard and the KKK's Crusader...probably not the guy who's desk you want to send that legislation to for signing.

That's pretty big talk ....coming from somebody who champions a party whose elder statesman for decades was Robert Byrd of W.Va....what was he? A Grand Kleegle of the Klan...or Grand Poobah...or some such thing.

2 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Well said.  And what I was trying to say when answering the "why now"

Because virtue signaling is all the rage 

I'm actually surprised it took so long 

Edited by RiverRaider

I doubt that most private employers will be giving people "Juneteenth" as a day off. 

I worked for five different large companies... some of which were nationwide Fortune 500 types.  None gave MLK day as a holiday or Presidents day or any but the big 5 (Memorial day, 4th of July, Labor day, Thanksgiving and Christmas). 

The HR position was that you were allotted three "optional holiday" days as part of your paid time off... use those days as you see fit.

"For employers, a key question would be whether to grant employees a paid day off. Although it would be observed for two million federal employees, not all state and local governments or private-sector employers would necessarily follow suit.

About a third of 405 companies said they gave national holidays such as Presidents Day off. Fewer companies, or 13%, do so for Veterans Day, according to a survey conducted this year by employer consulting firm Mercer LLC.

All states have observed Martin Luther King Jr. Day since 2000. About 55% of companies give employees a paid day off, according to the Mercer survey. Juneteenth is observed at 9% of businesses."

32 mins ago, Slacker said:

I doubt that most private employers will be giving people "Juneteenth" as a day off. 

I worked for five different large companies... some of which were nationwide Fortune 500 types.  None gave MLK day as a holiday or Presidents day or any but the big 5 (Memorial day, 4th of July, Labor day, Thanksgiving and Christmas). 

The HR position was that you were allotted three "optional holiday" days as part of your paid time off... use those days as you see fit.

"For employers, a key question would be whether to grant employees a paid day off. Although it would be observed for two million federal employees, not all state and local governments or private-sector employers would necessarily follow suit.

About a third of 405 companies said they gave national holidays such as Presidents Day off. Fewer companies, or 13%, do so for Veterans Day, according to a survey conducted this year by employer consulting firm Mercer LLC.

All states have observed Martin Luther King Jr. Day since 2000. About 55% of companies give employees a paid day off, according to the Mercer survey. Juneteenth is observed at 9% of businesses."

Maybe not "most," but my girlfriend's company, Eileen Fisher, has off for Juneteenth tomorrow.  

59 mins ago, jkrock said:

My family didn’t own slaves.  What does Kamala do to celebrate the moral stain her family left on history?

How do you know?  

8 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

The official end was 2 years earlier, but if you were still being whipped, chained, raped, and hung by guys flying the stars & bars, it didn't effectively end for you until Juneteenth.  That's the date racism went underground.

Apparently, you had to look it up. President A. Lincoln(r) ended slavery 2 years before. But democrat strongholds still had slaves until nineteenth. 

Globally, slavery is still a common practice worldwide, regardless of the law. 

Racism never went underground. We are all shades of brown, except albinos, and we all have the innate intelligence to recognize differences amongst us. 

The only real racists, are those to profer that they are not.

Edited by Dave588

21 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

Only 14 Republicans voted "NO."    Know their names.

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 10.04.17 PM.png

I think 1 of those 14 should be the next POTUS, and the other 13 should make up the Cabinet and the Supreme Court.