Dave Peros

Did Commercial Bass Season Open Today?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Just wondering since I saw a pogy chunking boat anchored up in the Hole today and another angler who typically doesn't fish unless he can kill and sell bass. 

I’m curious to see how much of the quota is filled this year, and what they plan to do next if (when) it’s not. 

3 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I’m curious to see how much of the quota is filled this year, and what they plan to do next if (when) it’s not. 

O\U 30%. I’ll take the under. 

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

My guess is 40% and next year they open up commercial fishing to 7 days a week. 

yup   opened may 16    I was out there killing and thrilling myself .   but not much of a kill and very little thrill  ( u can't catch what is not there )  it's going to be  a sad season ,    its time for a change 

1 hour ago, stifftip said:

yup   opened may 16    I was out there killing and thrilling myself .   but not much of a kill and very little thrill  ( u can't catch what is not there )  it's going to be  a sad season ,    its time for a change 

The next decade  is going to be sad, not just this season.  The fishery won't  rebuild overnight,  even if they impose the strictest of restrictions. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

The next decade  is going to be sad, not just this season.  The fishery won't  rebuild overnight,  even if they impose the strictest of restrictions. 

Will it ever recover? Think of all the challenges they face that didn’t exist or weren’t as extreme during the 80’s. Habitat loss, warming sea temps, pollution, poaching, more anglers, modern fish-finding technology, social media, etc. This may never rebound. Cod, anyone? 

Edited by Seadogg

21 mins ago, Seadogg said:

This may never rebound. Cod, anyone?

Nope, never. When I got hook on cod fishing 10 years ago and practically had to stop (can't even fish) 4-5 years back. Now I have all these cod jigging gears......

More anglers, more poachers, more boats fishing.  People's general selfishness nowadays.  Lack of funds for enforcement.

The legal size back in the day was 16".   At least today they have to be a slot sized fish, right?  Just don't tell that to the people hiding fish in the woods or runners (to their car) at the canal, and the abusers at Powder Point and Lynn.  The size limit may as well be 16".  

Can't blame this on ignorance.  Many people alive, and still in power to do something have experienced a striper decline before.  Not the first time stripers have been abused, I just chalk it up to enforcement not having the funds to deal with poaching, and people in charge not giving a ****.  Cod and Salmon are more sacred a fish I guess.

At least we won't have to worry about spot burning at the canal pretty soon.  Unless it's for scup...

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

Will it ever recover? Think of all the challenges they face that didn’t exist or weren’t as extreme during the 80’s. Habitat loss, warming sea temps, pollution, poaching, more anglers, modern fish-finding technology, social media, etc. This may never rebound. Cod, anyone? 

Water quality and habitat may actually be better than in the 80s, lol. But I agree with you. I think it would need to get bad enough for long enough that most anglers move on with their lives and forget all about Striper fishing until it quietly recovers. 

3 hours ago, stifftip said:

I think you mean June 16th.