Dave Peros

Did Commercial Bass Season Open Today?

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Just wondering since I saw a pogy chunking boat anchored up in the Hole today and another angler who typically doesn't fish unless he can kill and sell bass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m curious to see how much of the quota is filled this year, and what they plan to do next if (when) it’s not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I’m curious to see how much of the quota is filled this year, and what they plan to do next if (when) it’s not. 

O\U 30%. I’ll take the under. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

I’m curious to see how much of the quota is filled this year, and what they plan to do next if (when) it’s not. 

My guess is 40% and next year they open up commercial fishing to 7 days a week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup   opened may 16    I was out there killing and thrilling myself .   but not much of a kill and very little thrill  ( u can't catch what is not there )  it's going to be  a sad season ,    its time for a change 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stifftip said:

yup   opened may 16    I was out there killing and thrilling myself .   but not much of a kill and very little thrill  ( u can't catch what is not there )  it's going to be  a sad season ,    its time for a change 

The next decade  is going to be sad, not just this season.  The fishery won't  rebuild overnight,  even if they impose the strictest of restrictions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, bob_G said:

The next decade  is going to be sad, not just this season.  The fishery won't  rebuild overnight,  even if they impose the strictest of restrictions. 

Will it ever recover? Think of all the challenges they face that didn’t exist or weren’t as extreme during the 80’s. Habitat loss, warming sea temps, pollution, poaching, more anglers, modern fish-finding technology, social media, etc. This may never rebound. Cod, anyone? 

Edited by Seadogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, Seadogg said:

This may never rebound. Cod, anyone?

Nope, never. When I got hook on cod fishing 10 years ago and practically had to stop (can't even fish) 4-5 years back. Now I have all these cod jigging gears......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More anglers, more poachers, more boats fishing.  People's general selfishness nowadays.  Lack of funds for enforcement.

 

The legal size back in the day was 16".   At least today they have to be a slot sized fish, right?  Just don't tell that to the people hiding fish in the woods or runners (to their car) at the canal, and the abusers at Powder Point and Lynn.  The size limit may as well be 16".  

 

Can't blame this on ignorance.  Many people alive, and still in power to do something have experienced a striper decline before.  Not the first time stripers have been abused, I just chalk it up to enforcement not having the funds to deal with poaching, and people in charge not giving a ****.  Cod and Salmon are more sacred a fish I guess.

 

At least we won't have to worry about spot burning at the canal pretty soon.  Unless it's for scup...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

Will it ever recover? Think of all the challenges they face that didn’t exist or weren’t as extreme during the 80’s. Habitat loss, warming sea temps, pollution, poaching, more anglers, modern fish-finding technology, social media, etc. This may never rebound. Cod, anyone? 

Water quality and habitat may actually be better than in the 80s, lol. But I agree with you. I think it would need to get bad enough for long enough that most anglers move on with their lives and forget all about Striper fishing until it quietly recovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stifftip said:

yup   opened may 16    I was out there killing and thrilling myself .   but not much of a kill and very little thrill  ( u can't catch what is not there )  it's going to be  a sad season ,    its time for a change 

 

I think you mean June 16th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.