tacoboy

Help IDing a plug maker

13 posts in this topic

I know this isn't much to go on and I will post pics soon (need to dig them out).  Here goes, about 10 yrs ago (maybe even longer) I helped pull out a fisherman that was stuck pretty bad (Gillikens at IBSP) he was an older slim gentleman with a trach tube. he really appreciated the help (and frankly really needed it), to show his appreciation he gifted me 2 homemade plugs he built, no labels, no model numbers. one is a lipped swimmer, the other a needle fish. I know this is a long shot but would any of you know who this man might have been???? Thanks in advance for any leads.

stay safe, be well

Sorry to hear he passed away but not really surprised as he didn't look in the best of health and as mentioned that had to be better than 10 yrs ago. How recently did he pass?

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, tacoboy said:

Sorry to hear he passed away but not really surprised as he didn't look in the best of health and as mentioned that had to be better than 10 yrs ago. How recently did he pass?

I believe he passed February 25th 2013.

Edited by t_man7

From all the stories I wish I knew him better. He did strike me as a tough old guy!!! I had the help of another guy that day and wonder who it might have been as he seemed to know Tony fairly well. Wouldn't be surprised if it was someone from here! Being these plugs have stick on eyes they must be younger than the ones with glass or plastic eyes.

One night at the 7-11in Belmar he borrowed a rod from me to go eeling. 

I got a call from JT (Jerry) a few days later that Tony sold the rod in the 7-11 lot.

Great friend.

I meet Tony fishing in Deal about 85 and he gave me a plug just out of the blue. Still have that plug if I remember right it was a Driftwood plug. Very nice gentleman.