Beastly Backlash

River2sea Frogs

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just started using these River2sea frogs and I really like them. The 5/8oz version casts like a rocket and the bass crush it.

However, the hooks and hook barbs dig into the body constantly causing the frog to fill up with water due to the extra holes. I have lost a few good bass due to the hook being caught on the body.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

I suppose I could bend out the hooks and shorten the barb.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Bend the hooks up just enough to be off have the barbs off the body of the frog. I don't do that on every frog, but if I have one miss a bass (not due to user error) I'll bend the hooks up slightly.

Make molds and you'll never really worry about these petty issues.   

Might take a season to figure it out but once you do......you'll be smiling from stem to stern.  

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I have lost a few good bass due to the hook being caught on the body.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

2 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

Bend the hooks up just enough to be off have the barbs off the body of the frog. I don't do that on every frog, but if I have one miss a bass (not due to user error) I'll bend the hooks up slightly.

1 hour ago, KidDkivahh said:

Bend the hooks up and crush the barbs , 

3X. I fish the River2Sea in more open water or sparse cover situations because it has a great walk the dog action. If you're fishing it in open water, don't be shy about bending those hooks up and out. If you're mixing in heavy cover like pads and grass back off a bit. I'll run my  finger along the back till it the hook just catches . If you're missing strikes regularly try bending them a bit more.

If you’re talking about the BullyWa 2s I agree they are my go to for walking.  I give the hooks a very slight bend out and they are good to go. 

1 hour ago, fishnbear said:

3X. I fish the River2Sea in more open water or sparse cover situations because it has a great walk the dog action. If you're fishing it in open water, don't be shy about bending those hooks up and out. If you're mixing in heavy cover like pads and grass back off a bit. I'll run my  finger along the back till it the hook just catches . If you're missing strikes regularly try bending them a bit more.

After most of the misses I noticed that the tips of at least one of the hooks was in the body.

I ended up having to check the lure after every cast or two.

2 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

After most of the misses I noticed that the tips of at least one of the hooks was in the body.

I ended up having to check the lure after every cast or two.

The hooks on the BullyWa2 are pretty tight to the body out of the package. A little tweaking should fix that

Just now, fishnbear said:

The hooks on the BullyWa2 are pretty tight to the body out of the package. A little tweaking should fix that

I will report back later with how the up turned hooks work out.

The one frog was basically toast after two nights due to the lacerations inflicted on the body by the hooks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

?

Swamp donkey is reaction innovations version of a hollow bodies frog.  Much better lure I think

rs.jpeg

Edited by Captain Ahab

5 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Also, shorten the skirts to increase hookups.  

Agree with this 100%. I usually shorten the legs to the length of the body.  I’ve tried one longer and one shorter but haven’t noticed a difference.