StickinLips

Reel Cleaning

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone know if there are any shops/bait stores on the South Shore (Quincy to the Canal) that do a decent job cleaning reels? Just don't have time and am trying to avoid sending them out. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Red Top in Buzzards Bay should be able to help. If its just cleaning, take 15 minutes and do it yourself, not a big deal. Just back from the Cape, the only B &T from  Hyannis to P-Town is the Goose Hummock in Orleans, probably near  100 miles of shoreline without a B & T.  

1 min ago, Highlander1 said:

Red Top in Buzzards Bay

Red Top stop doing them. I used to drop my reels off there for winter maintenance. I couldn't get it done this offseason.

1 hour ago, StickinLips said:

Anyone know if there are any shops/bait stores on the South Shore (Quincy to the Canal) that do a decent job cleaning reels? Just don't have time and am trying to avoid sending them out. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

What model reel are you looking to have serviced?

2 hours ago, StickinLips said:

Penn Conflict II and a Penn Slammer III 4500

Might be on line tutorials already. 

I’d pop the handle off, pull the side plate off, fill it with Penn blue grease. 

Pull  the drag knob off, pull spool off, oil shaft. 

Pull out drag stack, wipe dry, grease washers with Cal’s drag grease. 

Back out the roller bearing screw, put some oil on each side of that and tighten back up. 

Oil each side where bail flips. 

Unless you are dealing with mag sealed reels, or overly complicated insides, should be fairly routine. I “pre service” all mine before they ever see salt water. 

4 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Might be on line tutorials already. 

I’d pop the handle off, pull the side plate off, fill it with Penn blue grease. 

Pull  the drag knob off, pull spool off, oil shaft. 

Pull out drag stack, wipe dry, grease washers with Cal’s drag grease. 

Back out the roller bearing screw, put some oil on each side of that and tighten back up. 

Oil each side where bail flips. 

Unless you are dealing with mag sealed reels, or overly complicated insides, should be fairly routine. I “pre service” all mine before they ever see salt water. 

Thanks, I lent them out and them came back a little "sandy" just trying to be preventative. 

8 hours ago, johnysmoke said:

Monahan's marine in Weymouth has a guy who services reels. 

That's Jays Jigs, hes in Natick.   He did 5 rod repairs for me this season,  good work.