Iophon

Hobie compass

30 posts in this topic

New to the forum, been kayak fishing since 2018 in SE Florida. I started with an ’18 outback, then a ‘19 outback- which was a very nice upgrade - then a PA12. I liked them all but the PA12 is frankly too unwieldy in current and wind. Which is to say un-nimble, very wide turning radius and not terribly stealthy. In 2018 when I got into this I tested the compass along with the outback and the revo, I liked the compass best but it had no reverse.
 

I’m fortunate to have a decent amount of discretionary income so upgrading every year or two is doable for me. I was thinking of going back to the outback but figured since the 2021 compass now has the 180 drive, I’d go that route this time. I think I’ll wait till the 2022 model is out but I’m guessing it won’t be that much different- sort of like the outback remained essentially the same between 2019 and 2021.

 

thoughts? Anyone have a newer compass? My main concern is that it will be more fragile than my PA12 which is basically indestructible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2018 Compass ... It is solidly made. It is also very stable ... great for my in the bays of Cape Cod and RI. I've taken it out in some snotty weather in Buzzards Bay, never felt like I was in trouble.

 

I think the biggest difference between the Outback and the Compass are the features. Both are solidly built. I really want the portability of the lighter Compass. I don't have the 180 drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, Iophon said:

New to the forum, been kayak fishing since 2018 in SE Florida. I started with an ’18 outback, then a ‘19 outback- which was a very nice upgrade - then a PA12. I liked them all but the PA12 is frankly too unwieldy in current and wind. Which is to say un-nimble, very wide turning radius and not terribly stealthy. In 2018 when I got into this I tested the compass along with the outback and the revo, I liked the compass best but it had no reverse.
 

I’m fortunate to have a decent amount of discretionary income so upgrading every year or two is doable for me. I was thinking of going back to the outback but figured since the 2021 compass now has the 180 drive, I’d go that route this time. I think I’ll wait till the 2022 model is out but I’m guessing it won’t be that much different- sort of like the outback remained essentially the same between 2019 and 2021.

 

thoughts? Anyone have a newer compass? My main concern is that it will be more fragile than my PA12 which is basically indestructible.

I demoed a Compass but don't own one. Given you have the budget to buy any model (from the sounds of it), what appeals to you about the Compass? The lighter weight and more basic deck could definitely be positives. I personally wouldn't be dragging these around pavement/gravel if that's the type of durability you mean. Hobie's do seem to have fairly soft plastic. Otherwise, I don't think there's any reason to believe it would be less durable than the Outback. It's the same plastic, molding process, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drmevo said:

what appeals to you about the Compass?

Maneuverability in the water. If I’m in strong current or wind or both my PA12 is quite difficult to guide. The outback was also a little like that actually. I’m on a river/lagoon system when I fish so careering into the mangroves is distinctly possible, has happened a few times… but also just positioning myself to fish a spot can sometimes be an exercise in frustration.

 

I aught to be able to upgrade the compass cockpit  to match, almost, the outback’s functionality I think.

 

in terms of fragility: my 2019 outback had thinner plastic than my PA12 which is all but bulletproof, and the rudder was exposed and could easily be damaged in transport. Not so with the PA12. Of course you pay for that with 40lbs of extra weight. I’m guessing I will have to be far more careful with a compass than I now am  with my PA12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2019 Compass and love it......it's a very functional fishing kayak.  The downside vs the Outback is lack of storage but the Compass is lighter.  I'm working on adding storage.....bought Berly Pro side pockets which I'm hoping work out like the built in gunwale compartments the Outback has.  My Compass does not have reversible drive.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Frede said:

'm working on adding storage.....bought Berly Pro side pockets which I'm hoping work out like the built in gunwale compartments the Outback has.

I put the BerlyPro Sidebro on my Compass ... nice addition. Great for pliers and lip grippers. I also put  an Outback pocket on the otherwise ... holds my glasses.

 

The big add for me is the Rectangular Hatch with insert ... holds my tackle. A must add iMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 1:05 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

I put the BerlyPro Sidebro on my Compass ... nice addition. Great for pliers and lip grippers. I also put  an Outback pocket on the otherwise ... holds my glasses.

 

The big add for me is the Rectangular Hatch with insert ... holds my tackle. A must add iMO

Cool.  I need to set mine up the same....I still haven't installed the Sidebro I'm so busy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two compasses, great kayaks and went with them mostly for weight. The one consideration vs an outback besides the normal storage is the guardian transducer system. You can buy an aftermarket plate for the compass but not as snazzy as the one on the outback.. only really a thing if you need/want side imaging. Otherwise I don't bring a ton of stuff on me on a kayak.. so installing rectangular hatch (do vertical) and a crate is more than I'll ever need. Also did a DIY rod holder to place where the cup holder is ... lack of a front rod holder when landing fish was a minor annoyance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No front rod holders on the PA12, also an annoyance. I don’t use a fish finder. Too much rigmarole. I did have a portable sonar but found it was unnecessary for where and how I  fish. Weight is not an issue, maneuverability and stealth is. Still thinking…!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 1:05 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

I put the BerlyPro Sidebro on my Compass ... nice addition. Great for pliers and lip grippers. I also put  an Outback pocket on the otherwise ... holds my glasses.

 

The big add for me is the Rectangular Hatch with insert ... holds my tackle. A must add iMO

 

compass 1.jpeg

compass 2.jpeg

compass 7.jpg

Compass open hatch and FF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My girlfriend got the new compass it’s nice. The no reverse can get annoying depending on your fishing style but then again I’m used to instant reverse. The no front rod holders is an easy fix. I wouldn’t beat the crap out of it but the hulk seems strong enough. Weight and hull integrity will always be a 2 sided coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, Bigred78 said:

My girlfriend got the new compass it’s nice. The no reverse can get annoying depending on your fishing style but then again I’m used to instant reverse. The no front rod holders is an easy fix. I wouldn’t beat the crap out of it but the hulk seems strong enough. Weight and hull integrity will always be a 2 sided coin.

The newest compass has the 180 drive, which is why I’m considering it now. Can’t live without reverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, Bigred78 said:

Weight and hull integrity will always be a 2 sided coin.

This is something that I worried about when I debated buying a Compass demo which looked beat up to me.  The dealer assured me the Compass is no less durable than Outback and/or PA....I don't know for sure if that's true or not but I suspect he's correct.  It's more likely less features like gunwale storage equates to less weight.  We'll see because I bought the demo and it already had a good head start on getting beat up lol.            

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the 2021 Compass, I believe or 2020, has 180 drive. Purchased from dealer about 3 weeks ago. Have only had it out in the local small lake 4 times, very stable so far, next trip will be the back bay, Lacking in storage room is not fake news, looking to get a fish finder also, this one is prefit for the Lowrance. I know nothing about them. Any suggestions on Brands, looking for simple and ease of use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.