Jim Hawkins

Penn 704z

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I got a very nice 704z with a black spool from flea bay. It came with brown mono and a dried up rubber band stuck to the spool. I was able to scrape some off with a plastic card. There’s some stubborn stuff left. I was thinking about using acetone on it. Any other suggestions? Thanks 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I clean my Zs with WD40. Hose em down.  Let em sit for a few mins. Toothbrush. 

You going to break it down internally?  Very easy design.  Probably filled with old grease.   Also check the drags. Might just need a cleaning or could be dust! I've come across both. 

2nd Chance Tackle on Youtube has a nice video. 

I've grown to love these reels. For me, they're perfect. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Sir-you have a classic reel that has stood the test of  TIME--has caught thousands if not millions of fish-easy to maintain and simple to customize-good luck with your purchase--check out on SOL--custom Penn 704's--and 706's--keep it REEL--rreelman

Great pickup, black spool 704z is still the reel of choice on my #1 surf rod. I typically clean it with naphtha/lighter fluid. If you're just trying to get the dried up rubber band off you could possibly try to heat it up with a hairdryer to aid is scraping. I'd be careful scrapping the spool with anything metal that could potential nick or gouge the spool.

Not necessary but the Penn bailess kit is worth it and upgrading the drag knob to the newer Penn knobs with the gasket. Not going to make the drag fully sealed or anything like that but I like to think it helps keep out more debris that the original old hard plastic knob.

FYI, lots of people talk about packing these reels full of grease for heavy surf use but I just keep mine normally greased. Went the packed route before and found it to be unnecessary. Gets dunked plenty and have never had issues. Easy enough to pop the housing cover off and clean/relube if you're ever worried.

If warm soap and water does work, Goo Gone will probably work and is a lot more friendly than acetone.  Most dollar stores have 2 oz bottles.

Goo gone.JPG