hunter123

Cape Henlopen

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm heading down to the Cape Thursday morning. I plan to do some fly fishing. Has anyone been fly fishing there recently, whats running , how did you do. I was going to IRI, but it's really slow there. But I need the practice casting an intermeadiat line. I'm kinda new to saltwater FF. I belong to the Fly fishing club in DE. Oh, should I use a intermeadiat or a floating line. Thanks. 

Weakfish and flounder are around.  I’m sure the saltwater fly club guys are in to them.  If on the flats at Cape, I’d go with a floating line.

IRI may be slow, but the back bay fishing for shorts is probably on fire.

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, Kbetts said:

Weakfish and flounder are around.  I’m sure the saltwater fly club guys are in to them.  If on the flats at Cape, I’d go with a floating line.

IRI may be slow, but the back bay fishing for shorts is probably on fire.

Thank you. floating line it is. How long of a leader should I uae on the floater. I use about 4' to 6' on the sinking line.  Would I need a boat for the back bays.

Edited by hunter123

I only use about a six foot leader of either one piece or maybe with a stiff butt section added.  Water clarity can vary but I don’t overthink it.  I’ve used intermediate lines, but it’s usually pretty shallow and any weighted fly is enough to get to the bottom.  Back bay you would be better off with a boat, although there is access along the highway south of Dewey.  Only fished it by running across from the other side though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I want to than you again. I'm heading down tomorrow. I like the idea of a 6' leader. What lb test would you recomend. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

I’ll use anything from 12-15# up to maybe 20.  I’ll use 40# mono as a butt section occasionally.

The back bay waters can look almost tropical at low tide.  Clear water, deep cuts off those sand bars.  Inland marsh is darker water but seem to hold more fish.