Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
liambrouillette

South shore reports?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Hesitant to post this because I know some are very opposed, but I have put in an ungodly amount of time into south shore beaches this spring and the action has been slower for me than it usually is in July or august. As the water temps are really starting to climb I'm kinda bummed out. curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing out there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

East or west can put you on fish right now, but my local area died off.  Front an back have been very very slow, just not much around.  A good push of better fish were around further east though.   

My hunch is a lull in the body of fish moving in as plenty of good fish are still well to the west and south around jersey, the issue will be back bay water temperatures as they filter into our area.  Temperature determines alot early in the year an as the season transitions to early summer, warm water temperature an outgoing tides become less desirable or consistent. The same can be said for fish yet to approach the area that would push through inlets seeking warm water and setting up throughout the back bay, may Instead take an off shore trek east an north, rendering them unavailable to us shore based minions.  Depends on the bait around too an with bunker deep in the back an around the inlet, its anyone's guess what the next week or two will hold. Best bet would be to fish high percentage areas where bigger baits swing through, tonight's north winds could offer a chance at oceanic bunker pushing inshore, bringing bass with them so any south shore inlet is your best bet.  Do it nightly and your bound to run into a shot of fish that will likely be gone by the next tide, along with the bunker.

Some guys like chasing fish. Others spend a lot of time in a few local areas.  Either approach has it's benefit an challenge, just fish the way you enjoy most and fish will come your way eventually.

Edited by DeepBlue85

I fish SS primarily as well and it has def been slower for me this year . Most of my usual spots aren’t as productive, guess it’s time to start exploring. 

I fished south shore area today and it was slow, one sea robin and one small blue. On Sunday I saw more than 50 people fishing with only one sea robin caught in 3 hours. Week before that also slow, had a short stripped and had a group of people sprint to my location, I thought they wanted to mug me, but they started throwing lures. So yeah, it has been slow.

@DeepBlue85 thanks for the good insight, the fish that im hearing about in jersey are why im so perplexed by the slow fishing but nothing about slow fishing surprises me really at this point. I can't really fish inlets because I don't have 4 wheel drive but I'll keep grinding out beaches hoping for a bunker fueled miracle. Also was out at sunset tonight and had decent action from small bass and blues, seems like the tiny summer bass are moving in with the warm water. 

Western SS has been productive for me for about a month now. Not a ton of quantity, but I’ve picked up a few blues and a slot bass each of my last few outings. 

The western sound is doing well right now, which I would think is a prerequisite for the western and central SS beaches to start picking up. I haven’t been doing this long enough to confirm or deny — just thinking out loud. 

Confirmed last night, going way west is the ticket.... suffolk county inlets and bridges died off an arent worth the extra 15 minute ride it seems. Incoming water has been the better tide, open beach or working small groins are seeing western fish arrive. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

2 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

Those 15+ Bass are absolutely missing. I had a good April and May, but that bites has long moved on.

They seem to be in far west SS or in MTK

Edited by CLFish5