Azballa7

When to throw topwater?

33 posts in this topic

A nice summer night, on a calm pond. A jitterbug. The only noise besides bugs, and frogs, is the sound of the loud splash of that fish leaping out of the water to devour that jitterbug. Nighttime + summer to answer your question.

2 hours ago, triumph said:

Now

Agree. Post spawn, overcast day, little bit on wind moving the water is when I have the best luck with walk the dog lures. 

All the right answers here for you. Over 50* water temp. Night time. Calm water. Start out with. Fish chewing on top.

I do it like skunkoff. I start out with topwater stuff. And if I happen into a shady area after the sun is high, I'll go back to it, I started mid April here in CT with top water. Had water temps around 51 over cast day. All day long I threw top water, and slayed them..

Breeze on the water? Buzz Bait is top water. Prop Bait is top water.Whopper plopper is top water.

I even make my own floating worms to use on the lily pads.It glides over them and wiggles. It's like using a topwater shakey head.

The best time though to throw top water? Anytime you feel like it!  

I've gotten bored and thrown them high noon on bluebird days, and caught them. Don't let anyone tell you conditions have to be perfect. 

Let the bass tell you when conditions are perfect.

6 hours ago, MattieG said:

A nice summer night, on a calm pond. A jitterbug. The only noise besides bugs, and frogs, is the sound of the loud splash of that fish leaping out of the water to devour that jitterbug. Nighttime + summer to answer your question.

Sadly it has been years since I went "plugging" in the late night on  dead flat lake.  Used to love doing it with my cousin.  Even in the heat of August when things are sometimes slow, evening and nighttime bass fishing with surface plugs can be awesome.  And the noises when they bit are a blast. One time I was out with my cousin fishing after midnight when a beaver swam by the boat and slapped his tail :)

Surface lures are undoubtedly my favorite type of bass fishing.  I've caught many more on plastics, but not as exciting

I’ve been doing pretty well at a local pond using a Strike King Wake Bait late in the day just before dark. I really love that lure. Definitely one of the best top water lures I have ever used.